November 28, 2012 at 7:37 AM
Hay, not bud
The Associated Press
MOXEE, Yakima County — Some people thought they smelled marijuana in the air this week in the Yakima Valley, but it was the smoke from a haystack fire at a dairy east of Moxee.
Spontaneous combustion apparently started the fire Monday in 60 tons of hay. Firefighters and employees worked for hours, pulling apart bales, but such fires can smolder for days.
The Yakima Herald-Republic reports stagnant air conditions kept the smoke from clearing, although that should improve by Thursday.
East Valley Fire Chief Mike Riel agreed the smoldering hay resembled the smell of marijuana.
About The Today File
The Today File is a general news blog featuring real-time coverage of Seattle and the Northwest. It is reported by the news staff of The Seattle Times and edited by Assistant Metro Editor Nick Provenza.
Trending with readers