A family of six who lost their possessions in a Central Area duplex fire on Halloween Night received a $500 gift card this morning from Seattle’s Bravest Charity, a nonprofit organized by Seattle firefighters.
David Churchill, director of Seattle’s Bravest Charity, said the donation was made to help the family through the holiday season.
The card was presented at Fire Station 6 on 23rd Avenue South to Mark and Raquel Murray for themselves and their four children.
Members of the family were out trick-or-treating, when the fire started shortly before 8 p.m. at the duplex in the 400 block of 26th Avenue South. The family lived on the duplex’s upper floor.
The upper floor was fully involved in fire when firefighters arrived. Fire crews quickly evacuated a man in a wheelchair and a relative from the lower floor who were unaware of the fire burning just above them.
Investigators said the fire started when an electric lamp in the duplex overturned onto a mattress.
One firefighter suffered a minor injury while helping carry the man in the wheelchair. Damage at the time of the fire was estimated at $150,000 to the structure and $50,000 to the contents.
The Red Cross assisted three 3 adults and four children with shelter.
Seattle’s Bravest Charity, originally known as Seattle Fire Fighter’s Benevolent Association, was created after the 1995 fire deaths of four Seattle Firefighters at the Pang Warehouse arson in the International District.
Murray is the lead carpenter at Seattle University, according to a university spokeswoman, who said a benefit for the family is planned for 4 p.m. next Tuesday at The Chieftain Irish Pub, 908 12th Avenue. Details: https://www.facebook.com/events/421313981268285/