December 27, 2012 at 9:48 AM
Fire destroys Colville Reservation longhouse
The Associated Press
NESPELEM, Wash. — Tribal regalia used in religious and cultural celebrations were lost in the fire early Wednesday that destroyed the Chief Joseph Nez Perce Longhouse on the Colville Reservation at Nespelem .
The tribe says an electrical malfunction apparently started the fire. Flames were too intense for firefighters to enter the building.
No one was injured.
The tribal chairman, John Sirois, told The Spokesman-Review the building was a spiritual and cultural center. It also used for meeting and events.
Tribal historians are working to identify items that were lost.
About The Today File
The Today File is a general news blog featuring real-time coverage of Seattle and the Northwest. It is reported by the news staff of The Seattle Times and edited by Assistant Metro Editor Nick Provenza.
Trending with readers