February 28, 2013 at 7:23 AM
Fire destroys South Park house
A vacant South Park house was destroyed this morning by a roaring fire that was started by candles burning a curtain. It spread rapidly as two propane canisters in the house burst.
A homeless man who had been squatting in the house in the 8600 block of Dallas Avenue South was taken to Harborview Medical Center for treatment of burns to his hands and smoke inhalation.
The man was burned as he attempted to put out the fire, said Kyle Moore, Seattle Fire Department spokesman.
The one-story house was engulfed in flames when firefighters arrived about 4:30 a.m.
Moore said firefighters had to cut through a chain-link fence to get access to the house, and it took 12 minutes to knock the fire down.
About The Today File
The Today File is a general news blog featuring real-time coverage of Seattle and the Northwest. It is reported by the news staff of The Seattle Times and edited by Assistant Metro Editor Nick Provenza.
Trending with readers