Holiday weather: Rain likely, with a high near 46. But, hold out for Tuesday, when skies are expected to clear and temperatures tick up a couple degrees.
The battle for paid sick leave: A year and a half after the Seattle City Council approved a new law requiring businesses to offer a certain number of paid sick days, Republican lawmakers at the Capitol are pushing back. This isn’t the first time a city’s sick-leave law drew fire. Last summer, state Republicans in Wisconsin overturned Milwaukee’s sick-leave law — leaving Seattle, San Francisco and Washington, D.C., as the only cities requiring paid sick leave for most workers.
In memory of a civic giant: Aubrey Davis, who helped found Group Health, secured funding for the downtown bus tunnel, pushed for the lush lid over I-90 on Mercer Island, and invented a no-slip compound still used on house decks around the country, died Sunday. He was 95. Read his obituary.
Good news for West Seattle drivers: The ramps from the West Seattle Bridge to Interstate 5, which were closed over the weekend for repairs, are expected to open early at 3 p.m. today, according to the West Seattle Blog.
Spokane shootings: Four people were shot in downtown Spokane in two incidents earlier today, according to Spokane police. All four victims have non-life-threatening injuries. Police say the two shootings appear to be related and involving gangs. KHQ-TV has the story.
Presidents Day trivia time! For the federal holiday, here are some questions that you can use to quiz your friends and neighbors (answers at bottom of this post):
- George Washington’s birthday?
- Did George Washington own slaves? What did he do in his will?
- What currency has George Washington’s image?
- Washington is the __th most common street name in the U.S.
- What was the color of George Washington’s hair (under the wig, of course)?
Most-read stories on seattletimes.com:
- Misstep in gun bill could defeat the effort | Danny Westneat
- Putting a face on human trafficking
- Boeing readies short-term battery fix, facing uncertainty
- In pursuit of 200 pounds, Nick Franklin takes on 6,500-calorie-per-day diet | Mariners
- Lake Burien: the public lake you can’t use
- George Washington’s birthday? Feb. 22, 1732
- Did George Washington own slaves? What did he do in his will? Washington did own slaves, but he freed them in his will.
- What currency has George Washington’s image? The dollar bill and the quarter.
- Washington is the __th most common street name in the U.S. The 17th most common. (This is a Wikipedia fact, so we can’t vouch for it entirely.
- What was the color of George Washington’s hair (under the wig, of course)? Red.
Have another trivia fact about George Washington? Leave a note in the comments.
Memo light: Pearls Before Swine | Stephan Pastis