Follow us:

The Today File

Your guide to the latest news from around the Northwest

March 12, 2013 at 11:53 AM

UPDATE: Man suspected of killing grandparents in custody

UPDATE: 7:05 p.m. | Boysen is now in police custody according to the King County Sheriff’s Office. Sgt. Cindi West said he was unconscious but alive when police entered his room and that he was bleeding from self-inflicted cut wounds. For more updates, read our full story on the standoff.


Police in Lincoln City, Ore. have been negotiating off and on most of the day with the man suspected of killing his grandparents, who is holed up at a seaside motel.

King County Sheriff John Urquhart and Lincoln City police Chief Keith Kilian confirmed this afternoon that the man at the Westshore Oceanfront Suites is Michael Boysen, 26, subject of an intensive multi-state manhunt. Urquhart said Boysen may be armed.

Police in Lincoln City are involved in sporadic negotiations with Boysen, according to Kilian. He said a public-address system and a water-cannon device was utilized to break out a window in Boysen’s room. “He had stopped talking to us and that got his attention,” Kilian said.

According to Kilian, police received a call about Boysen being at the motel around 7:30 a.m. after the property managers recognized his face and name on a morning news show. Kent Landers, who owns the motel, told The Seattle Times that Boysen had checked in the night before using his real name.

Police crept in this morning, not wanting to alert Boysen, and silently evacuated the rest of the motel, he said. Surrounding homes have also been evacuated.

Lincoln City police then settled in until Oregon State Police arrived with their armored vehicles, a robot and a public-address system arrived around 11 a.m. He said there is no telephone in the motel room.

“We said something like ‘This is the police. You need to come out,’ and he said, ‘I don’t want to. Go away,’ ” said Kilian, who added, “We’re not going away.”

Kilian said police have not seen any evidence that Boysen is armed. However, he said, “King County said to consider him armed and dangerous and that’s what we’re doing.”

Negotiations with Boysen have been occurring on and off all afternoon, he said, but police are not in any rush as long as Boysen remains willing to talk.

“We’ve got time on our hands,” said Lt. Gregg Hastings of the Oregon State Police. “There’s no reason to endanger an officer.”

Landers said this is usually a quiet time of year at the Westshore Oceanfront Hotel and that only of a few people were checked in this morning at his 20-unit motel at 3127 S.W. Anchor Ave. Lincoln City has a population of about 8,000.

About two blocks from the motel, Ann Chapatte, manager of the Overlook Motel, said she had been watching through her binoculars this morning and could see about 10 police in camouflage gear with guns drawn around the Westshore Oceanfront Suites. She said no shots had been fired.

“They are dressed in their camouflage and they’ve been pointing their guns at we’re not sure which building,” she said.

Boysen, 26, has been sought since his Saturday when his grandparents were discovered slain in their Renton-area home and investigators discovered Boysen was likely trying to acquire firearms.

Urquhart said that the threat Boysen poses to the public cannot be overstated and asked for help locating him and the car he was suspected of stealing from his grandparents: a red 2001 Chrysler 300 with license plate 046-XXU.

Boysen’s grandparents, Robert, 82, and Norma Taylor,  80, picked him up from the Monroe Corrections Complex following his release Friday after serving time for a 2012 conviction for attempted residential burglary.

The couple had prepared a bedroom for him in their Renton-area home. They spent most of that day driving their 26-year-old grandson around town, taking him to meet his probation officer and getting him an identification card from the Department of Licensing, according to Urquhart.

That night they held a welcome-home party for him. The Taylors’ cause of death is still being investigated, the King County Medical Examiner’s Office said today, but Urquhart said they were not shot.

We’ll update this post as new information comes in.

Seattle Times staff reporter Jennifer Sullivan contributed to this report.


Comments | More in The Blotter | Topics: homicide, King County Sheriff's Office, Lincoln City


No personal attacks or insults, no hate speech, no profanity. Please keep the conversation civil and help us moderate this thread by reporting any abuse. See our Commenting FAQ.

The opinions expressed in reader comments are those of the author only, and do not reflect the opinions of The Seattle Times.

The Seattle Times

The door is closed, but it's not locked.

Take a minute to subscribe and continue to enjoy The Seattle Times for as little as 99 cents a week.

Subscription options ►

Already a subscriber?

We've got good news for you. Unlimited content access is included with most subscriptions.

Subscriber login ►
The Seattle Times

To keep reading, you need a subscription upgrade.

We hope you have enjoyed your complimentary access. For unlimited access, please upgrade your digital subscription.

Call customer service at 1.800.542.0820 for assistance with your upgrade or questions about your subscriber status.

The Seattle Times

To keep reading, you need a subscription.

We hope you have enjoyed your complimentary access. Subscribe now for unlimited access!

Subscription options ►

Already a subscriber?

We've got good news for you. Unlimited content access is included with most subscriptions.

Activate Subscriber Account ►