April 8, 2013 at 5:56 AM
Fire in Ballard sends woman to the hospital
A fire blamed on unattended candles forced the evacuation of a 10-unit apartment complex in Ballard early today, sending a woman to the hospital with second-degree burns.
Seattle Fire Department spokesman Kyle Moore said the woman, in her 50s. woke up to see flames in her apartment about 4:30 a.m. She ran out of her apartment, then went back in and rescued her dog.
Moore said it wasn’t clear whether the woman, who had burns on her head and was taken to Harborview Medical Center, was hurt before she left the apartment the first time, or when she went back in to get her dog. The fire was largely confined to her unit in the one-story complex in the 2300 block of Northwest 62nd Street..
Damage was estimated at $150,000 to her apartment, $50,000 to its contents, and $10,000 to the exterior of an apartment facing hers.
About The Today File
The Today File is a general news blog featuring real-time coverage of Seattle and the Northwest. It is reported by the news staff of The Seattle Times and edited by Assistant Metro Editor Nick Provenza.
Trending with readers