AUBURN — Relatives of an Auburn man exposed to ammonia on a processor-tender ship tied up at a Sitka, Alaska, dock say the man has died.
The News Tribune of Tacoma reports that 82-year-old Charles “Chuck” Baker died Tuesday at Harborview Medical Center in Seattle. He was flown to the hospital after the accident Monday.
Baker’s family said he and his son Mike co-owned the ship.
In Sitka, Fire Chief Dave Miller said the man received “a full blast of ammonia” from a leak of the refrigerant in the hold of the vessel.
The newspaper says Baker’s 20-year-old grandson, Steven, also was on the boat and helped lead his father and grandfather away from the hazard.
Another son, Andy Baker, told The News Tribune his father “loved being up in Alaska on the boats.”