June 21, 2013 at 6:49 AM
Friday Memo: Bear ‘reward’ … Summer’s here … Olympia beer poll
Bear rewarded with food: Well sort of. A campground in North Cascades National Park is closed for at least a couple of weeks to discourage a bear that got what was described as “a substantial food reward” by breaking into a garbage can.
Beginning, ending and staying the same:
- Today is the first full day of summer (although you’d be hard pressed to tell it by the rain and gray skies).
- KIRO ends Pat O’Day’s long run as voice of hydros
- Mariners blow big lead, lose 10-9 to Angels
Plane from Seattle to Miami makes emergency landing: An American Airlines flight from Seattle to Miami made an unscheduled stop in Denver when smoke filled the cockpit. Don’t think this was a 787. Yesterday, however, a United Airlines 787 from London to Houston also made an unscheduled stop in New Jersey because of a low engine oil indicator.
Beer making coming back to the old Olympia brewery? KING5 has a story saying a real estate broker is negotiating to remove a convenant that says no alcoholic beverages could be made at the old brewery, which opened in 1896 and closed in 2003. Did you drink Olympia beer? Vote in our poll.
Most-read stories on seattletimes.com:
- Little known about potential Coyotes’ buyers
- Airbus U.S. chief says presence in Washington possible
- ‘World War Z’: Abuzz with speedy, swarming zombies | Movie review
- Paula Deen says she used slur but doesn’t tolerate hate
- Wash. DOT didn’t flag caution on I-5 span
Memo light: Crankshaft | By Tom Batiuk and Chuck Ayers
Nick Provenza: 206-464-2142 or email@example.com
About The Today File
The Today File is a general news blog featuring real-time coverage of Seattle and the Northwest. It is reported by the news staff of The Seattle Times and edited by Assistant Metro Editor Nick Provenza.
Trending with readers