June 17, 2013 at 6:15 PM
Woman suffers minor burns in Sodo apartment fire
A barbecue caught fire and spread to the surrounding deck on the fifth floor of a Sodo apartment building Monday evening, injuring one woman, causing about $35,000 of damage and triggering a spectacle just outside of Century Link Field.
The fire started just after 6 p.m. as the woman was grilling alone, said Seattle Fire Department spokesman Kyle Moore. Onlookers reported flames shooting as high as 20 feet into the air.
Firefighters quickly batted down the fire, but not before it charred the deck and an adjacent commercial building.
The woman, who is in her 60′s, was transported to Harborview Medical Center with 1st degree burn injuries, Moore said. She was reportedly in stable condition.
One building resident, Sharon Weise, called the fire a scary experience.
“It’s always scary when you smell smoke, especially when it’s in your building,” Weise said.
Moore advised those hosting summer barbecues to be sure to keep grills at least 10 feet from the home, check propane tanks often and never leave anything unattended.
About The Today File
The Today File is a general news blog featuring real-time coverage of Seattle and the Northwest. It is reported by the news staff of The Seattle Times and edited by Assistant Metro Editor Nick Provenza.
Trending with readers