July 4, 2013 at 9:45 AM
Seattle man may lose part of arm, leg after fireworks explosion
UPDATE 10:36 a.m. | A 26-year old Seattle man may lose a part of his arm and leg after he ignited a sparkler bomb that exploded in the middle of the street at the 14700 block of Southeast 176th street near Renton early Thursday morning, King County Sheriff’s office reported.
A sheriff’s spokeswoman said that the injuries were severe enough that doctors may have to amputate. The victim, who has not been questioned yet by authorities due to the severity of his injuries, was taken to Harborview Medical Center. The firework the victim ignited at 4:30 a.m. — a bunch of sparklers wrapped together to create a “sparkler bomb” — is illegal, authorities said.
PREVIOUS POST | A Renton man was seriously injured by a firework explosion early Thursday morning. Initial reports are the 26-year-old man was injured by a “sparkler bomb” – a concoction of compressed sparklers that transforms the fireworks into a powerful explosive.
King Country Sheriff’s Office and the Renton Fire Department responded to the explosion on the 14700 block of Southeast 176th Street in Renton around 4:30 a.m. The man was transported to Harborview Medical Center with serious injuries.
This post may be updated as more information becomes available.
The King County Fire Marshal Division has compiled a list of firework safety guidelines:
• Use only approved, legal, and common fireworks from reliable Washington State and King County Fire Marshal licensed retailers.
• Always have a responsible adult light all fireworks.
• Have a charged garden hose or a fire extinguisher handy.
• Use fireworks under outdoor conditions only, away from buildings, houses with wood shingles, trees, and dry fields.
• Avoid aerial type fireworks.
• Light one item at a time, move away quickly, and keep a safe distance away.
• Dispose of used fireworks by first soaking them in water.
• Ensure the safety of pets.
• Use eye protection.
• Remember your neighbors and clean up all debris.
• If a device does not light or fire, an adult should wait at least a minimum of five minutes before approaching the device.
• Remember, if it has a stick or fins and it goes up or if it blows up, it is illegal in Washington State.
• Rather than buying fireworks, attend a public fireworks display when available and make that a family tradition.
About The Today File
The Today File is a general news blog featuring real-time coverage of Seattle and the Northwest. It is reported by the news staff of The Seattle Times and edited by Assistant Metro Editor Nick Provenza.
Trending with readers