July 24, 2013 at 10:52 AM
Gas fumes ignited by candle cause of Fremont house fire
A fire last night that destroyed a car and damaged a home in Seattle’s Fremont neighborhood was caused by a burning candle that ignited gasoline vapors, the Seattle Fire Department said this morning.
The fire was reported shortly after 10 p.m. in the 4100 block of Third Avenue Northwest. When firefighters arrived, the 2½-story house was in flames. It took 72 firefighters 25 minutes to bring the fire under control and nearly an hour to extinguish the flames, the Fire Department said.
Fire investigators determined the fire started in a 1994 Subaru Loyale that was parked in the driveway. The flames from the car fire extended to the garage, the deck and to the attic of the house. Firefighters prevented the fire from spreading to nearby structures.
A woman was taken to Harborview Medical Center with second-degree burns to her hands, the Fire Department said.
Damage to the house and its contents is estimated at $400,000.
About The Today File
The Today File is a general news blog featuring real-time coverage of Seattle and the Northwest. It is reported by the news staff of The Seattle Times and edited by Assistant Metro Editor Nick Provenza.
Trending with readers