Follow us:

The Today File

Your guide to the latest news from around the Northwest

July 24, 2013 at 10:52 AM

Gas fumes ignited by candle cause of Fremont house fire

A fire last night that destroyed a car and damaged a home in Seattle’s Fremont neighborhood was caused by a burning candle that ignited gasoline vapors, the Seattle Fire Department said this morning.

The fire was reported shortly after 10 p.m. in the 4100 block of Third Avenue Northwest. When firefighters arrived, the 2½-story house was in flames. It took 72 firefighters 25 minutes to bring the fire under control and nearly an hour to extinguish the flames, the Fire Department said.

Fire investigators determined the fire started in a 1994 Subaru Loyale that was parked in the driveway. The flames from the car fire extended to the garage, the deck and to the attic of the house. Firefighters prevented the fire from spreading to nearby structures.

A woman was taken to Harborview Medical Center with second-degree burns to her hands, the Fire Department said.

Damage to the house and its contents is estimated at $400,000.

0 Comments | More in The Blotter | Topics: fire, Seattle Fire Department

COMMENTS

No personal attacks or insults, no hate speech, no profanity. Please keep the conversation civil and help us moderate this thread by reporting any abuse. See our Commenting FAQ.



The opinions expressed in reader comments are those of the author only, and do not reflect the opinions of The Seattle Times.


Advertising
The Seattle Times

To keep reading, you need a subscription.

We hope you have enjoyed your complimentary access. Subscribe now for unlimited access!

Subscription options ►

Already a subscriber?

We've got good news for you. Unlimited seattletimes.com content access is included with most subscriptions.

Subscriber login ►
The Seattle Times

To keep reading, you need a subscription upgrade.

We hope you have enjoyed your complimentary access. For unlimited seattletimes.com access, please upgrade your digital subscription.

Call customer service at 1.800.542.0820 for assistance with your upgrade or questions about your subscriber status.

The Seattle Times

To keep reading, you need a subscription.

We hope you have enjoyed your complimentary access. Subscribe now for unlimited access!

Subscription options ►

Already a subscriber?

We've got good news for you. Unlimited seattletimes.com content access is included with most subscriptions.

Activate Subscriber Account ►