Still rocking: It’s the last day to get your fill of the thrill of the Capitol Hill Block Party, the three-day music madness taking place along Pike Street. Andrew Matson, The Times main Block Head, recommends these acts today: punk rockers Ubu Roi on the VERA stage at 2 p.m.; rap from ILLFIGHTYOU at Barboza at 4:45 p.m.; and more rap from Jarv Dee on the VERA stage at 6:30.
Still burning: Helicopters and ground crews were containing a 12-acre fire on Mount Si, but in other parts of Eastern and Central Washington, fires threatened homes and closed roads. About 1,200 firefighters were battling a blaze near Goldendale in Klickitat County, and a brush fire in Chelan County south of Wenatchee covered at least 1,00 acres.
Weather: It’s gray this morning, but we could see some sun this afternoon.
At the stadiums: Sports action in town today starts at Safeco Field at 1:10 p.m. when the Mariners try to get back into winning ways against the Minnesota Twins (the home team lost last night to the Twins, 4-0, the first shutout loss since June 19). Things move from baseball to soccer and to CenturyLink Field where the Seattle Sounders face Chivas USA at 8 p.m.
Most read on seattletimes.com:
- Seattle police detective hoped to ‘ruin’ woman after ill-fated affair, court documents say
- Boeing shuffles high-ranking engineering execs
- Is there a fix for global warming under our feet?
- Macklemore films video at iconic Seattle hamburger venue | Picture This
- Hernandez brilliant in 3-2, 13-inning Mariners defeat
Memo light: Pearls Before Swine | By Stephan Pastis