UPDATE 12:45 p.m.:| A container of butane gas stored in a refrigerator caused this morning’s $300,000 apartment fire on Beacon Hill, said Kyle Moore, Seattle Fire Department spokesman. More said the cannister of gas in the refrigerator was left open, and gas from the cannister seeped into the bottom of the refigerator to its electrical workings, resulting in an explosion. No one was injured.
UPDATE 11:30 a.m. | A Seattle Fire Department spokesman said the blaze started when a refrigerator ignited butane gas, causing an explosion. Damage is estimated at $300,000.
Previous post from The Associated Press:
UPDATE: 8:30 a.m. | There were no injuries in a two-alarm fire that burned three units of an apartment building Wednesday morning in Seattle’s Beacon Hill neighborhood.
Fire Department spokesman Kyle Moore says 32 people live in the four-story building and everyone got out safely. The Red Cross is helping people who have been displaced.
Moore says the fire was called in to 911 at 5:35 a.m. Arriving firefighters saw a column of black smoke coming from a third-story apartment with flames spreading to units above and below.
One resident said he was awakened by the sound of his stove exploding. Other residents also reported hearing a boom. Moore says the cause of the fire has yet to be determined.
There are no sprinklers in the older building. Residents heard alarms sounding.
UPDATE: 7:55 a.m. Six units were damaged and there were no injuries, according to Seattle Fire.
UPDATE: 6:30 a.m. | The fire has been put out. Someone did live in the apartment where the fire started. The fire department says 32 people live in the apartment building in all. The Red Cross has been called in to assist them.
UPDATE: 6 a.m. | No occupants were found in the three units that were burning.
The Seattle Fire Department is tweeting that there is a two-alarm fire in a Beacon Hill apartment complex in the 1100 block of South Massachusetts Street, east of I-5 just south of I-90.
The fire has spread to three units, according to the fire department.
More information will be available as soon as possible.