UPDATE 10:33 p.m. | The fire was caused by “improperly discarded smoking materials,” according to a Seattle Fire Department tweet. Damage is estimated at $70,000 and apartment residents are being allowed to return home.
ORIGINAL POST | Firefighters are sifting through the debris left by a fire on a fifth-floor apartment deck in the 300 block of Bellevue Avenue East Tuesday night.
Smoke billowed off the deck, and the flames grew to 6 feet high, but the blaze was contained to a single apartment, Seattle Fire Department spokesman Kyle Moore said.
“We could see the flames and smoke from Belltown,” he said.
A neighbor pulled the building’s fire alarm and started knocking on doors to evacuate residents. No one was home at the time, so firefighters had to kick down the door to enter the apartment where the fire was.
Sprinklers inside the building kept the fire at bay, Moore said. No one was injured.
Calls started coming in around 8:30 p.m. and the Fire Department extinguished the blaze by 8:48 p.m.