North Korea rescinded an invitation to a U.S. envoy who was to travel to Pyongyang on Friday to negotiate for the release of an imprisoned Lynnwood man.
Family members of Kenneth Bae, who was detained last November and accused of committing “hostile acts” against North Korea, said in a news release that they were disappointed but “have faith that the DPRK (the People’s Republic of Korea) and U.S. diplomats will resume talks soon.” Bae, 45, accused of committing “hostile acts” against North Korea, was sentenced to 15 years of hard labor in April.
“We appreciate the work that the State Department and the Obama administration have been doing and have pledged to do for Kenneth’s release,” the release continued. “We miss Kenneth and remain concerned about his health.”
Terri Chung, Bae’s sister, penned an editorial in The Seattle Times last month describing in detail the family’s reaction to seeing video footage released of Bae working in a North Korean labor camp and pleading for the U.S. to help him.
“We are not giving up hope for a peaceful and timely resolution,” the family’s release said.