October 30, 2013 at 5:25 PM
Carbon monoxide in Lake City building sends 7 to hospital, 2 critical
UPDATE, 6:05 p.m. | Seven people, including a Seattle police officer, are being treated for carbon monoxide poisoning after two men were found unconscious in a Lake City Way condo, according to the Seattle Fire Department.
Fire spokeswoman Sue Stangl said two residents returned to their home in the 13700 block of 35th Avenue Northeast on Wednesday evening and noticed a strong smell of exhaust. While trying to determine the source of the smell, the duo zeroed in on one dwelling and attempted to contact the residents. The front door was open, according to Stangl, and the couple found two elderly men unconscious inside.
Police and fire responded and one officer as well as the two residents were taken to the hospital after they were exposed to carbon monoxide fumes while rescuing the two elderly men. The elderly men were transported to the Virginia Mason Medical Center where they are in critical condition, according to Stangl.
The other two people were taken to the hospital for exposure after the fire department determined the carbon monoxide levels inside the building were extremely high, Stangl said.
Stangl said victims of carbon monoxide poisoning are taken to Virginia Mason because the hospital has a Hyperbaric Chamber which provides oxygen therapy, during which 100 percent oxygen is given to the patient under pressure. She did not know which of the seven patients, if any, were undergoing treatment in the specialized chamber.
The fire department tweeted that the source of the carbon monoxide was a car that was left running in a garage.
UPDATE, 5:47 p.m. | Fire Department says there are now seven carbon monoxide patients, including a Seattle police officer.
UPDATE, 5:46 p.m. | The source of the carbon monoxide was a car left running inside the garage, the Fire Department tweets.
UPDATE, 5:43 p.m. | Medics are now evaluating a 79-year-old couple with “prolonged exposure” to carbon monoxide, according to a Fire Department tweet.
UPDATE, 5:31 p.m. | The Seattle Fire Department has tweeted that five patients have been taken to the Hyperbaric Chamber. A hyperbaric chamber provides oxygen therapy, during which 100 percent oxygen is given to the patient under pressure.
EARLIER POST |Seattle Fire medics performed CPR on more than one resident of a Lake City apartment building filled with carbon monoxide this afternoon.
At least two people possibly suffering from carbon monoxide poisoning at 13700 block of 35th Avenue Northeast were taken to Virginia Mason Medical Center, while several others living in the building and a Seattle police officer was evaluated for possible poisoning, according to the Seattle Fire Department.
We will update this post as more information becomes available.
About The Today File
The Today File is a general news blog featuring real-time coverage of Seattle and the Northwest. It is reported by the news staff of The Seattle Times and edited by Assistant Metro Editor Nick Provenza.
Trending with readers