A Lake City man who, with his wife and a police officer, pulled two elderly neighbors from their home after they were overcome by carbon monoxide, said he doesn’t consider himself a hero.
“I just did what was necessary and that was it,” Marty Corona said Thursday.
He, his wife Karen and the police officer dragged the two unconscious men from their home Wednesday afternoon after calling 911 and checking on the welfare of two other neighbors in the 13700 block of 35th Avenue Northeast.
The two men remained in the hospital Thursday, Corona said. Virginia Mason Medical Center spokesman Gale Robinette said he could not provide information about the condition of any patients still in the hospital because of patient privacy laws.
The Seattle Fire Department said Wednesday the men were critically injured.
Seven people, including the Coronas, two other neighbors and a police officer were taken to Virginia Mason, most for precautionary observation. Corona said he felt light-headed after the rescue but didn’t feel he needed medical attention until the risks of carbon monoxide exposure were explained to him. He returned to work Thursday at a Kidd Valley hamburger restaurant, where he is a manager.
Corona said the injured men, whom he knows only by their first names, “were in pretty bad shape” when he and his wife pulled them from their attached home next door, which was filled with exhaust from a car that was left running in a downstairs garage. The two men were unconscious, one in the living unit, the other in the garage.