Nirvana nominated: The grunge band has been nominated to the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame. Is grunge rock and roll?
What is this, Caddyshack? Gophers have been popping up here and there at the Yakima airport, potentially weakening the runway or attracting hawks that could collide with planes. The city council has asked for permission to poison the critters.
Spokane police to record race: At the first of the year, the race of anyone questioned or pulled over by an officer will be recorded. It’s an effort to show that the department doesn’t question or arrest people based on race. The NAACP says it’s been asking for this for years because it’s received more that a dozen complaints from people who have said they’ve been stopped by police because of their race. Is it a good idea for police to record the race of people they question, pull over or arrest? Vote in our poll.
Dive tank explodes: A compressed air tank kept outside an Olympia dive shop exploded Tuesday, sending shrapnel as far as 150 feet away, and blowing a hole in the back of the dive shop, according to fire officials. Yikes! Luckily, no one was hurt.
Enjoying this weather, aren’t you? Sunny afternoons and temps in the low 60s are forecast through Sunday. No rain. Let’s say that again. No rain. National Weather Service forecast
Most-read stories on seattletimes.com:
- Steven Hauschka’s heroic and horrifying tackle attempt sets off a wild plot twist |Larry Stone
- Big boost in minimum wage: Would Prop. 1 pay off?
- Hunter found after days in Calif. forest ate squirrels to survive, used grasses to stay warm
- Prostitute takes laptop, psychologist loses license
- Collapse for shutdown effort, then new optimism: Chances seen good for approval on Wednesday
Nick Provenza: 206-464-2142 or email@example.com