Follow us:

The Today File

Your guide to the latest news from around the Northwest

November 12, 2013 at 2:37 PM

2 men plead not guilty to violent Kirkland home invasion

Two men pleaded not guilty this morning to charges stemming from a vicious home invasion in Kirkland last month in which they are accused of breaking into a home, dragging a man from his bed and attacking him with knife.

Vincent Sisounong, 21, and Blessing Gainey, 19, pleaded not guilty in King County Superior Court to charges of attempted first-degree murder and first-degree burglary, according to the King County Prosecuting Attorney’s Office. Both men remain in jail, with Sisounong’s bail set at $1 million, and $500,000 for Gainey.

Their next scheduled court hearing is Dec. 5.

Sometime before 6 a.m. on Oct. 12, the two men forced their way into a house in Kirkland’s Kingsgate neighborhood and confronted the 18-year-old victim as he slept in a third-floor bedroom of his parents’ home, charging documents say. The two men restrained the teen in bed and held a knife to his throat, the papers say.

The two forced the young man downstairs, threatening to harm others in the house if he resisted or made any sound, according to the papers. Once in the basement, the victim was wrestled to the floor; one of his attackers restrained his arms and instructed his accomplice to cut the man’s leg off, the papers say.

That attacker  — allegedly Gainey — began hacking at the man’s left ankle and leg, “causing large deep cuts down to the bone,” the papers say.

The  victim recalled the other man, allegedly Sisounong, “saying that they needed to kill (the 18-year-old) now that he had seen their faces,” according to the papers.

The victim was able to break free and was kicked in the head, the papers say. During the struggle, the man’s car alarm began to go off, allegedly causing Gainey to flee, the papers say.

Sisounong allegedly stayed behind, ordering the victim to his knees and delivering deep cuts to the man’s right shoulder and head with a large knife, according to charging documents.

The victim was able to run to a bathroom and lock himself inside, but Sisounong allegedly broke the door open and continued to assault the 18-year-old with the knife, the papers say.

The victim punched his attacker in the face, causing the man to flee, according to the papers.

The vicrim ran to a nearby house, where he woke up the homeowners and asked them to call for help, according to the charging documents.

The victim was hospitalized for five days at Seattle’s Harborview Medical Center, where he underwent surgery for his injuries, the papers say.

Comments | More in The Blotter | Topics: attempted murder, home invasion, King County Prosecuting Attorney's Office


No personal attacks or insults, no hate speech, no profanity. Please keep the conversation civil and help us moderate this thread by reporting any abuse. See our Commenting FAQ.

The opinions expressed in reader comments are those of the author only, and do not reflect the opinions of The Seattle Times.

The Seattle Times

The door is closed, but it's not locked.

Take a minute to subscribe and continue to enjoy The Seattle Times for as little as 99 cents a week.

Subscription options ►

Already a subscriber?

We've got good news for you. Unlimited content access is included with most subscriptions.

Subscriber login ►
The Seattle Times

To keep reading, you need a subscription upgrade.

We hope you have enjoyed your complimentary access. For unlimited access, please upgrade your digital subscription.

Call customer service at 1.800.542.0820 for assistance with your upgrade or questions about your subscriber status.

The Seattle Times

To keep reading, you need a subscription.

We hope you have enjoyed your complimentary access. Subscribe now for unlimited access!

Subscription options ►

Already a subscriber?

We've got good news for you. Unlimited content access is included with most subscriptions.

Activate Subscriber Account ►