A piece of crap? Boeing’s contract proposal to its machinists didn’t sit too well with them at a meeting yesterday where their union president declared the offer to be a “piece of crap.” Boeing says new contract will determine whether the 777X jet is built in Everett.
Shot for not offering a beer: A 21-year-old Orting man was shot in the chest and died after he refused to offer another man a beer at a party, according to Pierce County court documents. The alleged shooter has been charged with first-degree murder. There’s gang involvement here, we’re told.
Sexual assault cases: Two are in the news.
- A 14-year-old boy was taken into custody in Kent yesterday after an 8-year-old girl was sexually assaulted in a wooded area.
- The Seattle School Board has agreed to pay $700,000 to settle a lawsuit filed by the family of a girl who was sexually assaulted by a registered sex offender at Roosevelt High School in 2010. (KIRO)
Here’s some welcome news. Well, not so much, depending how you get around. People in King County could be asked to pay more for car tabs to keep Metro Transit service going at its current levels. No specific proposal its out there, but a flat fee of up to $100 when you renew you tabs each year is being floated.
More bad news: The Sounders ended their season yesterday with a 3-2 loss to the Portland Timbers in the playoffs in Portland. Could coach Sigi Schmid’s job be in danger? He doesn’t much like it when the media asks him that.
Weather: Scattered showers today and a 50 percent chance of rain tomorrow and Sunday. It was dry this morning, though. National Weather Service forecast
Most-read stories on seattletimes.com:
- Muckleshoots buy huge forestland in 3 counties
- New Mariners manager McClendon draws raves from Leyland | Larry Stone
- Machinists union leader: Boeing offer ‘a piece of crap’
- Backers of SeaTac’s $15 wage floor eye Seattle
- Sounders, Timbers will settle things Thursday night
Nick Provenza: 206-464-2142 or firstname.lastname@example.org