A grease fire, started just before noon today after food was left unattended on the stove, left a man with second-degree burns and suffering from smoke inhalation, Seattle fire officials said.
The fire began in the kitchen of a third-floor unit of a four-story apartment building in the 3200 block of Eastlake Avenue East, officials said. The apartment’s occupant called dispatchers to report the fire had reached the kitchen cabinets. Firefighters arrived to find heavy smoke in the hallway. The building’s alarm system had activated and many residents had already evacuated.
Firefighters contained the fire to the kitchen. The apartment had heavy smoke damage.
The man declined to be treated. Two of his cats were taken to a veterinary hospital — one for burns and smoke inhalation, the other for evaluation.
Earlier today, firefighters were at another fire on Eastlake Avenue East.
Overheated electrical wiring, officials said, started a house fire in the 2200 block of Eastlake Avenue East. The homeowner called 911 about 5:50 a.m. to report fire and black smoke pouring from his attic. The occupants were out of the house by the time firefighters arrived to find flames reaching toward a neighboring structure. The flames were extinguished within 10 minutes, and contained to the attic.
Investigators determined the wiring in the attic ignited adjacent wood ceiling joists.