A North Seattle family was hospitalized after a fire seriously damaged their house this morning. The fire department said a firefighter was also treated for a minor injury.
Seattle fire crews were called to the home in the 9700 block of 1st Avenue Northwest, near the Greenwood neighborhood, around 1:40 a.m. on the report of the fire. The family, a mother, father and child, made it out of the home safely after hearing smoke detectors.
The three were taken to Harborview Medical Center for smoke inhalation, said Seattle Fire spokeswoman Sue Stangl.
Stangl said the fire was started by an overheated extension cord underneath an outside deck.
Damage to the home and belongings is estimated at about $450,000.