A fire traced to a Christmas tree destroyed a Monroe home this morning, but both residents asleep in the house escaped, thanks to a dog named Scrappy.
Nineteen firefighters from Monroe, Sultan and Maltby responded to the fire, which was reported just after 8 a.m. in the 15300 block of 182nd Avenue Southeast, according to Monroe Fire Marshal Michael Fitzgerald.
Scrappy, described by Fitzgerald as a “small lap dog,” alerted one of the sleeping residents to the fire. That resident yelled and awoke another resident, allowing both to escape with their dogs.
Fitzgerald said the fire may have been caused by a combination of the tree not being watered and the tree’s lights being left on overnight. The loss was estimated at $85,000.
Fitzgerald said Monroe gets about one fire a year that results from a Christmas tree going up in flames. He cautioned residents to unplug their tree lights before going to bed; to keep trees watered; to avoid winding any electrical cord around itself; and to throw trees out after the holiday.