UPDATE 2 p.m. Jan. 2: Early reports from Seattle police, that the sprinklers at Neighbours were set off by someone pulling a fire alarm, are not correct, according to Seattle Fire Department spokesman Kyle Moore. Moore said the fire alarm got patrons’ attention and led to the safe evacuation, but that the sprinklers would have had to have been triggered by heat.
Previous post: Seattle police are searching for the person who set a fire in a crowded Capitol Hill bar shortly after midnight New Year’s morning. The fire was quickly extinguished and no one was hurt.
Police said more than 750 people were celebrating New Year’s Eve at Neighbours, 1509 Broadway, when someone poured gasoline on a carpeted stairway leading to the second level of the bar, and ignited it.
The blaze was quickly discovered and doused by a fire extinguisher, police said. Someone also pulled the fire alarm, causing the bar’s sprinkler system to activate and the crowd to evacuate.