A fire in Snohomish County started by unattended cooking killed four pets Friday night and left two women with minor injuries.
The fire at a duplex in the 11600 block of Admiralty Way, south of Everett, was reported around 8:35 p.m., according to Snohomish County Fire District 1. A couple who lived there went out to dinner with friends and returned to find their townhouse filled with smoke, according to a spokeswoman for the fire district.
The residents and friends tried to save their pets, but the smoke was too thick, the spokeswoman said. A dog, two cats and a pet lizard died in the fire. Two boa constrictors were rescued by firefighters after the fire was extinguished.
The female resident and a female neighbor were taken to Swedish Medical Center, Edmonds with minor injuries.
Fire damage was contained to the kitchen. The Snohomish County Fire Marshal’s office estimated damage at $80,000 and determined the fire was started by a pot of food left cooking on the stove top.
Cooking fires are the leading cause of home fires and home fire injuries, noted the fire district spokeswoman.
The neighboring duplex unit was not damaged.