A 30-year-old man was arrested Saturday morning on suspicion that he set a fire on New Year’s Eve at Neighbours nightclub on Capitol Hill, according to Seattle police.
Police earlier said that someone poured gasoline and set fire to it on a carpeted stairway inside the gay dance club. The fire was quickly extinguished, and someone pulled a fire alarm, triggering the evacuation of about 750 patrons. No one was injured.
Police announced the arrest on their blog Saturday afternoon. They thanked the public “for all the tips they have received on the person of interest.”
The man was arrested as he made his way to the airport, police said. He was interviewed by detectives following his arrest, and booked into King County Jail for investigation of arson.
Police said arson investigators worked on the case with members of the Joint Terrorism Task Force. Investigators had previously released surveillance video of a man they identified as a “person of interest” in the blaze.
The brief fire caused about $1,000 in damage to the building, and about $6,000 to contents, most of it from the sprinklers that kicked on. Police said they found an empty gas can at the top of the stairs, which led to the bar’s mezzanine overlooking the dance floor.
Contains information previously published in The Seattle Times.