Tragic accident on I-5 in California: A FedEx tractor-trailer crossed over a grassy median on Interstate 5 north of Sacramento and slammed into a bus carrying more than 40 high-school students in an explosive crash that left 10 people dead. The students were on their way to visit Humboldt State University. Read more about the accident.
What could be more romantic than a sewage treatment plant? You can book your wedding bash at the Brightwater Wastewater Treatment Center in Woodinville. The facility has a catering kitchen, audio-video equipment, a dance floor and ample parking, according to the Brightwater Facebook page.
We like good things: Abraham Almonte is one of the highlights of the Mariners’ season so far, according to columnist Larry Stone. Almonte combines power and speed, covers considerable ground in the outfield, and has a strong throwing arm. “When he’s in there, good things happen,’’ shortstop Brad Miller said. The Mariners take the field tonight against Oakland at 7:10. The first 25,000 fans will get a Felix Hernandez T-shirt, according to the M’s website.
Get your quiz on: Get out your No. 2 pencil, it’s time for the Friday news quiz.
Sunny skies: The weather is looking good for the weekend. Sunday should be the best day, with temps predicted to be in the 70s. National Weather Service forecast.
Most-read stories on seattletimes.com:
- Boeing moving 1,000 more engineering jobs to California
- Seahawk Ricardo Lockette, 49ers QB Colin Kaepernick named in ‘suspicious incident’ report
- Mudslide survivor: ‘I did not let that baby go for one second’
- Online security flaw could take years to corral; what you need to know about Heartbleed | Close-up
- Man who says he killed 40 won’t divulge associates