Snohomish County officials on Monday will discuss plans to “end active search operations” for the two people still listed as missing at the Oso mudslide site, the county said today.
Sheriff Ty Trenary will talk about the decision at a news briefing on Monday, though officials haven’t released an official date the search will end. Efforts to remove debris will begin once the search ends, but passive search operations will continue. Field spotters will work alongside heavy equipment operators to identify personal property that might still be in the slide debris.
Active search could resume if conditions change and allow access to areas that were previously inaccessible, Snohomish County said.
Two people, Steven Hadaway, 53, and Molly Kristine “Kris” Regelbrugge, 44, are still listed as missing from the mudslide. The death toll remains at 41, according to the Snohomish County Medical Examiner’s Office.