Follow us:

The Today File

Your guide to the latest news from around the Northwest

April 22, 2014 at 8:23 PM

Voters rejecting measure to fund King County buses, roads

King County voters are rejecting Proposition 1, the measure to fund buses and roads, 55 percent to 45 percent.

The results from Tuesday night mark what appears to be a major defeat for King County Executive Dow Constantine, County Council Chairman Larry Phillips and the labor and business interests that backed the measure.

Assuming a countywide turnout of 38 percent – King County’s pre-election estimate – there are approximately 82,000 remaining votes left to count in the Proposition 1 race. The yes campaign would need about 73 percent of the remaining votes to catch up.

Proposition 1 called for a sales-tax boost of 0.1 percent, or a dime per $100 purchase; plus a yearly $60 car-tab fee, to replace a $20 fee that expires this summer. Metro would get 60 percent, while the remaining 40 percent would be split among city and county street departments.

Without more income, Metro has said it would cut service by 16 percent —just as ridership is growing. County buses carry about 400,000 riders a day, similar to record levels in 2008.

Operating costs have grown an average 2.4 percent a year since then, but sales-tax income plummeted, not returning to pre-recession levels until 2013. That left a structural deficit of about $75 million a year.

Staff reporter Justin Mayo contributed.

Comments | Topics: King County Proposition 1

COMMENTS

No personal attacks or insults, no hate speech, no profanity. Please keep the conversation civil and help us moderate this thread by reporting any abuse. See our Commenting FAQ.



The opinions expressed in reader comments are those of the author only, and do not reflect the opinions of The Seattle Times.


Advertising
The Seattle Times

The door is closed, but it's not locked.

Take a minute to subscribe and continue to enjoy The Seattle Times for as little as 99 cents a week.

Subscription options ►

Already a subscriber?

We've got good news for you. Unlimited seattletimes.com content access is included with most subscriptions.

Subscriber login ►
The Seattle Times

To keep reading, you need a subscription upgrade.

We hope you have enjoyed your complimentary access. For unlimited seattletimes.com access, please upgrade your digital subscription.

Call customer service at 1.800.542.0820 for assistance with your upgrade or questions about your subscriber status.

The Seattle Times

To keep reading, you need a subscription.

We hope you have enjoyed your complimentary access. Subscribe now for unlimited access!

Subscription options ►

Already a subscriber?

We've got good news for you. Unlimited seattletimes.com content access is included with most subscriptions.

Activate Subscriber Account ►