Update at 6:03 p.m.: Everett fire says the fire started in an outdoor sleeping porch between the two houses. The cause appears to have been a malfunction in a extension cord.
Update at 5:14 p.m.: Fire crews are bringing in a track hoe to aid in extinguishing inaccessible smoldering hot spots, according to Everett fire. Cause still to be determined.
Both houses are a complete loss, with total damage estimated at $350,000.
The Everett Fire Department is battling a stubborn fire in two houses.
The fire was reported just before noon at a home in the 2000 block of 23rd Street. Responding fire crews found flames from the roof of one home were spreading to the roof of a neighboring home, according to Everett fire officials.
The residents of one house were confirmed to be outside the home when firefighters arrived. The second home is in foreclosure and believed to be unoccupied.
Fire crews are attacking the fires from both inside and outside of the houses.
Firefighters are still battling hard-to-extinguish attic fires in both houses, the Fire Department said.
No injuries have been reported.