An explosion in Des Moines leveled a house and sent a man to the hospital on Friday evening.
Police responded to multiple reports of a house explosion in the 2000 block of South 232nd Street around 7 p.m. and found that the house had collapsed, Des Moines Police Department spokesman Sgt. Doug Jenkins said. A 41-year-old man suffered burns on his torso, arms and hands and was taken to Harborview Medical Center with non-life-threatening injuries.
The man had been doing roofing work on the house, which is owned by a bank, Jenkins said. He was using a propane torch that investigators determined was the ignition source.
“What was in the air that exploded, we don’t know,” Jenkins said.
The two neighboring houses also had superficial damage. The blast is under investigation.