Follow us:

The Today File

Your guide to the latest news from around the Northwest

September 22, 2014 at 5:28 PM

Komen 3-Day walk raises $2.7 million for breast-cancer research

Susan G. Komen 3-Day participants raised more than $2.7 million for breast cancer research from the walk this weekend in Seattle.

More than 900 participants spent the weekend walking 60 miles through Seattle-area communities and camping in pink tents at Marymoor Park as part of the 3-Day event, which raises money to help support research and community-outreach programs. The event culminated in a closing ceremony Sunday at Seattle Center.

The 3-Day event is held at seven cities across the United States, according to a news release. Participants raise a minimum of $2,300 each and walk an average of 20 miles a day. Of the net proceeds, 75 percent helps support Komen’s Research and Training Grant Program and large public-health outreach programs for women and men with breast cancer. The remaining 25 percent helps fund local community and affiliate support and outreach programs.

Next year’s 3-Day walk in Seattle is scheduled for Sept. 18-20.

Comments | More in General news, Health | Topics: breast cancer, Susan G. Komen 3-Day

COMMENTS

No personal attacks or insults, no hate speech, no profanity. Please keep the conversation civil and help us moderate this thread by reporting any abuse. See our Commenting FAQ.



The opinions expressed in reader comments are those of the author only, and do not reflect the opinions of The Seattle Times.


The Seattle Times

The door is closed, but it's not locked.

Take a minute to subscribe and continue to enjoy The Seattle Times for as little as 99 cents a week.

Subscription options ►

Already a subscriber?

We've got good news for you. Unlimited seattletimes.com content access is included with most subscriptions.

Subscriber login ►
The Seattle Times

To keep reading, you need a subscription upgrade.

We hope you have enjoyed your complimentary access. For unlimited seattletimes.com access, please upgrade your digital subscription.

Call customer service at 1.800.542.0820 for assistance with your upgrade or questions about your subscriber status.

The Seattle Times

To keep reading, you need a subscription.

We hope you have enjoyed your complimentary access. Subscribe now for unlimited access!

Subscription options ►

Already a subscriber?

We've got good news for you. Unlimited seattletimes.com content access is included with most subscriptions.

Activate Subscriber Account ►