LACEY — The Lacey, Thurston County, firefighters weren’t done once they extinguished a mobile home fire in the community near Olympia. Next, they grabbed a family of hamsters they’d spotted inside the burning building and brought them outside to safety.
After consulting their “pet emergency pocket guides” on Friday afternoon, they treated the five hamsters with oxygen and other first-aid equipment.
KOMO-TV reports that fire spokesman Tim Hulse says the team was able to save all but one of the hamsters.
The rodent family was later identified as Oreo, Madonna and three unnamed babies.
Lacey Fire District 3 spokesman Hulse says no humans were inside when the fire began.
The Fire Department says it appears the blaze started in a clothes dryer in the laundry room.