From the Associated Press:
The parents of a Lincoln County girl who died last month of E. coli bacteria say public health officials suspect the 4-year-old was infected by dropping from the family’s goat.
But Rachel Profitt told The Oregonian lab tests have not been conclusive and the investigation continues into the death of her daughter Serena.
Proffit says Lincoln County health officials advised the family to euthanize the goat, a family pet named Cathy. They are reluctant. It’s now corralled away from people.
Health officials said they found no E. coli at a restaurant where Serena shared a turkey sandwich with a 5-year-old Tacoma boy. He recovered from bacterial infection at a Seattle hospital.