403 Forbidden


nginx
403 Forbidden

403 Forbidden


nginx
Follow us:
403 Forbidden

403 Forbidden


nginx

The Today File

Your guide to the latest news from around the Northwest

December 8, 2014 at 5:11 PM

Hospital: Pharmacy error led to patient’s death in Oregon

The Associated Press

PORTLAND — An Oregon hospital says last week’s death of a patient who was given the wrong medication occurred because of the error of a hospital pharmacy worker who inadvertently filled an IV bag with the wrong drug.

The mistake was one of several revealed Monday by the St. Charles Health System that led to the death of 65-year-old Loretta Macpherson at its hospital in Bend.

Officials say Macpherson was given a paralyzing agent typically used during surgeries instead of an anti-seizure medication.

Hospital officials say the pharmacy received the correct drug, and the IV bag was correctly labeled. But it says a pharmacy worker inadvertently filled the bag with the wrong drug.

When a nurse checked on Macpherson, she had suffered cardiac arrest and brain damage.

Comments | More in The Blotter | Topics: death investigation, Oregon, pharmacy error

COMMENTS

No personal attacks or insults, no hate speech, no profanity. Please keep the conversation civil and help us moderate this thread by reporting any abuse. See our Commenting FAQ.



The opinions expressed in reader comments are those of the author only, and do not reflect the opinions of The Seattle Times.


403 Forbidden

403 Forbidden


nginx
403 Forbidden

403 Forbidden


nginx