The Associated Press and Seattle Times staff
KENNEWICK — Authorities say they’re still collecting video of the fatal police shooting of a Mexican man, and they’re asking for patience as protests of the killing continue in the agricultural community.
Antonio Zambrano-Montes, 35, was killed Feb. 10 after, police say, he threw rocks at cars and officers. The shooting has sparked a series of protests and a call for a federal investigation. It is the fourth killing by Pasco police in less than a year.
At a news conference Thursday, the spokesman for the regional special investigations unit probing the shooting said dash-cam video from patrol cars and video from witnesses is being examined.
Kennewick police Sgt. Ken Lattin couldn’t say exactly how many videos authorities will be watching.
“The more information we have the better,” Lattin said.
Lattin said about 40 people have been interviewed, but only a few actually saw the shooting.
Police said Zambrano-Montes was throwing rocks that hit two officers and he refused to put down other stones. Protesters have said officers should have used less than lethal force to subdue him.
The probe into the shooting is likely to take months, and Lattin urged calm.
“We appreciate the patience of the public,” he said.
Lattin said investigators want to know more about the actions of Zambrano-Montes, who authorities believe had been staying off and on at a local mission, in the hours and days leading up to the shooting. His erratic behavior at a busy intersection needs to be better understood, Lattin said.
“The actions were not normal, not reasonable. So why?” he asked.
Meanwhile, Dario Infante Zuniga, 21, who took a graphic video of the shooting that went viral, told The Seattle Times that he was only contacted by police on Thursday (Feb. 19). However, he said he’s first talking to a lawyer.
Zuniga, who is working his way through college at an auto-supply store, was driving home from work when he witnessed the shooting. He recorded it on his phone as he pointed it through his car’s windshield.
The video was uploaded to YouTube and has been viewed some 2 million times.
Although it took them over a week to contact Zuniga, police said Thursday it was important to collect any original videos of the shooting “from the actual device it was recorded from to preserve it as evidence.”
Times staff reporter Erik Lacitis contributed to this post.