You are viewing the most recent posts on this topic.
October 17, 2013 at 1:25 PM
Seattle police say they have located a violent sex offender who fled Canada for the U.S. earlier this month, and have told him to register as a sex-offender in the U.S. or face arrest.
Michael Sean Stanley, 48, cut a GPS monitor off his ankle in Edmonton, Alberta, on Oct. 1 and, according to law-enforcement officials, crossed into the U.S. unchallenged on Oct. 7. He is a U.S. citizen and it is not clear at this point whether he had access to a passport.
There is a Canada-wide warrant for his arrest, however, officials in Edmonton said they would not seek Stanley’s extradition.
Police and the U.S. Marshals Service located Stanley Thursday in downtown Seattle. The Seattle Police Department, in a blog post, said that there is no evidence that he has committed any new crimes in the U.S. and that officers are not able to arrest him at this time.
SPD spokesman Sgt. Sean Whitcomb said that “law-enforcement officials on both sides of the U.S. border are working to resolve this very complicated situation.”
In the meantime, Whitcomb said, Seattle police have ordered Stanley to immediately register as a sex offender in Washington, which would bring him under law-enforcement supervision. Stanley could be arrested if he fails to do so, he said.
Stanley was on home release in Edmonton after serving a 32-month sentence for assault and forcible confinement of two boys, ages 9 and 13, in 2004.
In a community warning issued when he was released in April 2011, Edmonton Police Services described Stanley as an “untreated violent and sexual offender who poses a risk of significant harm to the community.” It notes he has a “27-year history of committing night-time break and enters.”
Two weeks ago, the Royal Canadian Mounted Police locked down schools in several west-central Saskatchewan communities after Stanley’s vehicle was found in the area.
Stanley has targeted adults and children, according to Canadian parole documents obtained by the Canadian Broadcasting Corporation (CBC).
In 1987, he broke into the apartment of an 82-year-old Lethbridge woman who used a wheelchair and raped her. The same night, he was discovered in another apartment with two girls, including a 15-month-old child who had been undressed, the CBC reported Monday.
In 2000, Stanley was charged with exposing himself to some children, the CBC reported.
He also was charged with sexually assaulting a girl in 2004, but according to the CBC the girl delayed reporting the incident and eventually refused to testify because she was afraid of Stanley.
He went to prison again in 2006 after luring two mentally impaired boys to an Edmonton apartment, where he held them and blew crack smoke in their faces. Parole documents indicate he initially had been charged with sexual abuse in that case.
Stanley also has a long criminal history in Washington state and has been named in cases in Okanogan, Chelan, Grant, Lincoln, Clark and King counties, according to court records.
January 11, 2013 at 4:05 PM
Canadian transportation officials ordered the operator of a bus that crashed in Oregon last week, killing nine and injuring 39, to immediately cease operations in their own country Friday.
The suspension of Coquitlam, B.C.-based Mi Joo Tour & Travel’s bus-tour business in Canada comes three days after the U.S. Department of Transportation issued the company an “imminent hazard” out-of-service order.
Transportation officials for both countries found that the company was not recording driver hours as required. The driver of the Mi Joo tour bus that skidded off an icy Interstate 84 and down a 200-foot embankment Dec. 30 had worked 92 hours in seven days at the time of the crash. He still had at least another seven hours ahead of him as drove toward Vancouver, B.C.
In Canada and the United States, bus drivers are limited to 70 hours of on-duty time per seven days.
Canada’s Ministry of Transportation and Infrastructure conducted its own safety audit of the company after the accident, but worked closely with USDOT’s Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration.
Since the company registered as a Canadian business in 2007, it’s had no major accidents and has maintained a “satisfactory road safety rating for the last three years,” according to the ministry.
The company will not be able to operate again in the United States or Canada unless it submits a plan to follow regulations for both countries more stringently.
October 16, 2012 at 2:51 PM
The Associated Press
BLAINE – The Peace Arch crossing on the U.S.-Canada border was closed Tuesday after a man driving a van with Washington state plates shot a Canadian guard in the neck and then apparently killed himself, a police official said. Officials said it would remain closed overnight.
The female Canada Border Services Agency officer was shot in the neck and suffered serious injuries, Royal Canadian Mounted Police Cpl. Bert Paquet told reporters. She was breathing and conscious when she was flown to a hospital, but he had no further details on her condition.
The officer was in her booth at about 2 p.m. when she was shot. Investigators were trying to figure out what happened and why, Paquet said. They hadn’t confirmed whether the suspect was the van’s owner.
The Peace Arch crossing in Blaine is the third busiest port of entry on the northern border. Last month, it averaged 9,000 U.S.-bound cars a day, according to U.S. Customs and Border Protection.
The crossing features a park with a 67-foot-high monument in the form of an arch that connects the U.S. and Canada.
Canadian Brian White told reporters at the scene he was waiting to cross northward when he heard the shot.
He said guards immediately responded, and there were people screaming. Officials questioned everyone waiting to cross and took their car registration information.
The officer’s identity and other personal details were withheld. Paquet said U.S. authorities were notified of the incident.
“This is a very serious incident that occurred right on the border line,” he said. “We are sharing information with them.”
It will be up to Canadian border officials to determine when the crossing will reopen, Washington state Department of Transportation spokeswoman Kris Olsen said.
“We’re telling people they obviously need to use other routes to get across the border,” she said.
Crossings on State Route 543 and State Route 9 remained open.
About The Today File
The Today File is a general news blog featuring real-time coverage of Seattle and the Northwest. It is reported by the news staff of The Seattle Times and edited by Assistant Metro Editor Nick Provenza.
Trending with readers