Topic: carbon monoxide
You are viewing the most recent posts on this topic.
October 31, 2013 at 6:49 AM
Three employees of an Everett bikini barista stand dubbed the Hillbilly Hotties were arrested after some people complained about what might be going on there. The owner says her business is on the up and up. (KIRO)
The forecast for Halloween is not too shabby, with any rain here in the lowlands expected to stop by this evening and temperatures in the low 50s. (The Times)
A car left running in a garage at a condo in Lake City sent seven people to the hospital to be treated for carbon monoxide poisoning last night. (The Times)
One big sunfish was caught in Elliott Bay the other day. The critter, which got tangled in a gillnet, weighed 325-350 pounds. (The Times)
Most-read stories on seattletimes.com:
Nick Provenza: 206-464-2142 or email@example.com
October 30, 2013 at 5:25 PM
UPDATE, 6:05 p.m. | Seven people, including a Seattle police officer, are being treated for carbon monoxide poisoning after two men were found unconscious in a Lake City Way condo, according to the Seattle Fire Department.
Fire spokeswoman Sue Stangl said two residents returned to their home in the 13700 block of 35th Avenue Northeast on Wednesday evening and noticed a strong smell of exhaust. While trying to determine the source of the smell, the duo zeroed in on one dwelling and attempted to contact the residents. The front door was open, according to Stangl, and the couple found two elderly men unconscious inside.
Police and fire responded and one officer as well as the two residents were taken to the hospital after they were exposed to carbon monoxide fumes while rescuing the two elderly men. The elderly men were transported to the Virginia Mason Medical Center where they are in critical condition, according to Stangl.
The other two people were taken to the hospital for exposure after the fire department determined the carbon monoxide levels inside the building were extremely high, Stangl said.
Stangl said victims of carbon monoxide poisoning are taken to Virginia Mason because the hospital has a Hyperbaric Chamber which provides oxygen therapy, during which 100 percent oxygen is given to the patient under pressure. She did not know which of the seven patients, if any, were undergoing treatment in the specialized chamber.
The fire department tweeted that the source of the carbon monoxide was a car that was left running in a garage.
UPDATE, 5:47 p.m. | Fire Department says there are now seven carbon monoxide patients, including a Seattle police officer.
UPDATE, 5:46 p.m. | The source of the carbon monoxide was a car left running inside the garage, the Fire Department tweets.
UPDATE, 5:43 p.m. | Medics are now evaluating a 79-year-old couple with “prolonged exposure” to carbon monoxide, according to a Fire Department tweet.
UPDATE, 5:31 p.m. | The Seattle Fire Department has tweeted that five patients have been taken to the Hyperbaric Chamber. A hyperbaric chamber provides oxygen therapy, during which 100 percent oxygen is given to the patient under pressure.
EARLIER POST |Seattle Fire medics performed CPR on more than one resident of a Lake City apartment building filled with carbon monoxide this afternoon.
At least two people possibly suffering from carbon monoxide poisoning at 13700 block of 35th Avenue Northeast were taken to Virginia Mason Medical Center, while several others living in the building and a Seattle police officer was evaluated for possible poisoning, according to the Seattle Fire Department.
We will update this post as more information becomes available.
March 27, 2012 at 6:35 PM
Two men were poisoned by carbon monoxide while operating a gasoline-powered pressure washer in a basement parking garage Tuesday, in north Seattle, according to the Seattle Fire Department.
The incident happened just before 5 p.m., beneath an apartment building in the 10300 block of Greenwood Avenue North. The men, one in his 20s and one in his 40s, felt sick and then walked upstairs to their apartment and called 911.
Paramedics found them alert and breathing, and took the men to Virginia Mason Medical Center, to be treated in the hyperbaric chamber, said fire department spokesman Kyle Moore.
Besides being a workplace hazard, carbon monoxide has killed Seattle-area residents who barbecue indoors or use grills as heat sources during power outages.
The Seattle Times’ warning flier on such dangers, written in eight languages, can be read here.
January 20, 2012 at 7:48 AM
Traffic: May still be a mess. Ice is still out there. A lot of slush, too. You can’t be too careful. The good news yesterday was that there were fewer drivers on the roads. Be prepared for more folks taking to the roads this morning, however. The map and the cams.
No indoor grills, generators: We can’t emphasize enough that if your power is out, do not try to get warm by burning charcoal indoors or by burning anything in your home other than in a fireplace or woodstove. It is dangerous to do so. Carbon monoxide is a danger and can be deadly. If you run a generator, keep it outside.
Schools: Many school districts have canceled classes again today. Don’t forget to check SchoolReport.org.
Driving on snow and ice: A poll! Someone said the other day they thought Seattle drivers did better this go around driving in the snow. Take our poll.
Most-read stories on seattletimes.com this morning:
January 9, 2012 at 11:02 AM
The Associated Press
HOQUIAM — The friend of a Hoquiam family may have saved 5 lives Sunday night by discovering they were suffering from carbon monoxide poisoning.
The Hoquiam Fire Department tells KBKW the power was disconnected at the home and the family was running a generator in the basement.
The friend visited the home, discovered the fumes and called 911. All five family members were taken to a hospital for treatment and one was transferred to a hospital in Seattle.
About The Today File
The Today File is a general news blog featuring real-time coverage of Seattle and the Northwest. It is reported by the news staff of The Seattle Times and edited by Assistant Metro Editor Nick Provenza.
Trending with readers