UPDATE: Police say one of the boys was working on a school science project involving model rocketry. The boy’s father, who was in the house at the time, told authorities that the boys “were apparently trying to start a fire in the fireplace and may have used some of the rocket fuel they had mixed up as…More
You are viewing the most recent posts on this topic.
The Associated Press CLE ELUM, Kittitas County — Fire officials in Cle Elum say an explosion destroyed a home in that central Cascade foothills community, burning a woman who lived there. KOMO-TV reports that officials say it appears a propane tank exploded Tuesday afternoon. Firefighters pulled the woman out of the rubble. She was rushed to Harborview Medical Center in Seattle…More
The Associated Press SPOKANE — Federal investigators on Monday were waiting to talk with a man who blew off his hand with a powerful firework while driving in Spokane over the weekend, a spokeswoman for the federal Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives said. The agency has declined to release the man’s name. Agents were waiting…More
Seahawks sendoff: Fans say goodbye to the Hawks this morning team buses pass by on the way to the airport for the flight to the Super Bowl. Fans were invited to line the 1.1-mile route on South 188th Street starting at 46th Avenue South toward 28th Avenue South in the city of SeaTac as…More
The blast that knocked a building six inches off its foundation today in the Mount Baker neighborhood is one of several recent explosions or fires suspected to be caused by the manufacture of a marijuana-based product.
Seattle police and firefighters are on scene of the blast, which occurred inside a vacant apartment at 2802 S. McClellan St. No one was hurt and the building has been evacuated.
Seattle Fire Department spokesman Kyle Moore blamed the blast on the process used to create hash oil.
The most popular way of making hash oil — a high-potency extract of marijuana — now involves the use of flammable solvents, particularly butane, which can be purchased in hardware stores.
A substance, believed to be butane, was being stored in containers in a freezer in the building. The butane apparently leaked from the freezer into the refrigerator below and into the appliance’s electrical system. When the refrigerator kicked on today an explosion occurred, Moore said.More
The Associated Press MEDFORD, Ore. — An explosive device that went off before dawn Wednesday and damaged the Jackson County prosecutor’s office in Medford, Ore., appeared to be a failed attempt to level the building, a police spokesman said. The device shattered windows and damaged mainly the exterior of the building, said Lt. Mike Budreau of the…More
The Associated Press YELM — The van that exploded Tuesday in Yelm was modified with a homemade system designed to improve gas mileage. A 55-gallon drum in the vehicle blew up, critically injuring a man and a woman who were taken to Harborview Medical Center in Seattle with burns. Sgt. Ray Brady told KIRO the couple were…More
Firefighters and medics responded to the report of an explosion at the Evergreen State Fairgrounds about 1 p.m. today. Reports from the scene indicate two people were hurt. Their condition is not known. The cause of the explosion also wasn’t available.More
About 10 gallons of oil were spilled into Puget Sound outside Port Orchard Yacht Club after a 39-foot wooden boat sank and later exploded during efforts to salvage it. Crews from the Washington State Department of Ecology are working to manage the spill, according to a news release. Earlier Monday, five people were injured during efforts to salvage…More
There is not points to locate on the map The explosion and fire yesterday at the Alderwood Wastewater facility near Edmonds has been ruled an accident by the Snohomish County Fire Marshal’s Office. The explosion rocked the site at 6315 Picnic Point Road at about 11 a.m. after propane vapors ignited. A contractor was using a crane…More