The Wenatchee World CHELAN — About 20 goats and 20 chickens perished in a barn fire early this morning in Chelan. The cause of the fire was probably a heater or heat lamp that malfunctioned, said Tim Lemon, chief of Fire District 7 in Chelan. The fire was called in by someone who saw the fire from several…More
You are viewing the most recent posts on this topic.
The Associated Press TACOMA — A fire Monday caused significant damage to a Tacoma-area church that was in the process of rebuilding after a September arson. Central Pierce Fire and Rescue says the fire at the Golgotha Baptist Church was difficult to control because the roof collapsed. A spokesman, Ed Hrivnak, says no one was believed to be…More
BELLINGHAM (AP) — Investigators believe a fire that destroyed a century-old building on the Bellingham waterfront was started by fireworks. Witnesses reported seeing gold-color aerial fireworks before a grass fire Saturday night that spread to the Reid Boiler Works Building. The Bellingham Herald reports flames ripped through the vacant wood and sheet-metal building. Four generations of the Reid…More
SPOKANE VALLEY (AP) — Deputies are investigating a possible hate crime at a Spokane Valley coffee stand where a fire was set and a spray-painted message said, “Go back to China.” The owners of the Coffee Break stand came to work Tuesday morning and smelled gasoline and saw the red paint in the parking lot. The…More
The Associated Press MOUNT VERNON — A cadaver dog is searching a large vacant building that burned in Mount Vernon to make certain there were no transients trapped inside. Police spokeswoman Shannon Haigh says the search Monday is a precaution after one transient was arrested on the roof Sunday as the building burned. Haigh says he told police…More
The Associated Press BREMERTON — An 11-year-old girl was rushed to Mary Bridge Children’s Hospital in Tacoma after a fire early Monday in south Kitsap County. The Kitsap Sun reports seven other people — ages 2 to 21 years old — were evaluated at Mary Bridge and Tacoma General hospitals. Everyone was outside the home when firefighters arrived shortly…More
UPDATE 2 p.m. Jan. 2: Early reports from Seattle police, that the sprinklers at Neighbours were set off by someone pulling a fire alarm, are not correct, according to Seattle Fire Department spokesman Kyle Moore. Moore said the fire alarm got patrons’ attention and led to the safe evacuation, but that the sprinklers would have had to have…More
Firefighters battling a blazing semi-truck shut down both eastbound lanes of Interstate 90 east of Cle Elum for a short time this afternoon, the Washington State Patrol reported. No one was hurt in the truck fire – about a half mile west of milepost 92 near Elks Height — that was first reported about 3:32 p.m., a state patrol…More
The Chinatown International District building where 13 people were slain in Washington state’s deadliest massacre more than 30 years ago now holds another place in the annals of Seattle history: The cause of the massive Christmas Eve fire that heavily damaged the three-story structure was officially declared undetermined Thursday.
“The building is unsafe,” Seattle Fire Chief Gregory Dean announced at a late-afternoon news briefing where he explained that fire investigators were unable to reach upper parts of the 104-year-old building to carry out the painstaking work of pulling apart evidence and examining burn patterns.
Eight businesses that operated at street-level around the three-story building at 665 S. King St. will be “not to be able to open anytime soon,” said Teri Woo, whose family has owned the site for more than 50 years.
Four businesses — a bakery, a fish store, a gospel center and a gift shop — were red-tagged Thursday after the building as inspected by the Fire Department and the city’s Department of Planning and Development.
Operators may only re-enter for about five minutes with a Fire Department escort to recover valued items.More
(Aberdeen) Daily World Fire claimed the life of a 55-year-old Montesano man this morning, Montesano Fire Department Chief Corey Rux said. At about 9 a.m. Thursday, Grays Harbor County sheriff’s deputies responded a report of fire in a mobile home park on Poplar Road, finding the mobile home fully engulfed in flames, Rux said. They were able to bring…More