Topic: juvenile crime
You are viewing the most recent posts on this topic.
November 13, 2013 at 5:04 PM
A 14-year-old boy accused of raping an 8-year-old girl in Kent last Thursday was charged today with first-degree rape and first-degree child rape.
The King County Prosecuting Attorney’s Office is also seeking an alternate charge of second-degree rape. Prosecutors want to try the boy in adult court rather than juvenile court, which required a hearing before a judge to make that determination, according to charging documents.
According to the probable-cause statement outlining the police case against the boy, he “went to the place where the victim was,” then under “false pretenses” had her come outside so he could “show her a surprise.” Police say the boy later claimed he had consensual sex with the girl, whom he thought was 11, but struck her twice in the face when she said she was going to call police, the statement says.
The victim, wearing only a shirt and socks, went to the Red Lion Inn & Suites on 74th Avenue South seeking help after the attack. The girl was taken to a hospital for treatment, police said. The girl suffered a concussion, abrasions and may have been beaten unconscious.
The boy was arrested at a house near where the attack occurred, according to the probable-cause statement.
The Seattle Times is not naming the boy because he is a juvenile.
The boy is the younger brother of Chrisean Cressel, who was 15 when he raped two teenagers on consecutive nights in October 2011, according to King County prosecutors. The brothers have different last names.
Cressel is now serving an indeterminate prison sentence of 20 years to life.
October 17, 2013 at 12:10 PM
The Associated Press
SPOKANE — Prosecutors are seeking just one trial for two Spokane teenagers accused of beating a World War II veteran to death.
Demetruis Glenn and Kenan Adams-Kinard, both 16, face charges of first-degree murder, first-degree robbery and conspiracy to commit first-degree robbery. They could face life in prison if convicted.
Prosecutors this week said the two should be tried together for the crime.
Both teens are charged in the beating death of 88-year-old Delbert Belton in his car outside the Eagles Ice Arena in Spokane on Aug. 21.
The defendants contend Belton shorted them on a deal for crack cocaine.
Trial is set to begin on Nov. 4.
October 15, 2013 at 4:27 PM
An attorney representing Joseph Crudo, the conceierge/security guard at the Seaboard Building who was beaten by a group of young people in Westlake Park in July, filed a tort claim against the city last week, alleging the city and mayor’s office were negligent in protecting the public from known dangers.
Patrick Reddy filed the claim on behalf of Crudo on Friday, seeking $450,000 in damages. The tort claim is a prerequisite to the filing of a lawsuit against a government entity. The city has 60 days to respond to the claim before Reddy can file a civil suit.
Reddy said Tuesday that his client, along with other business owners and residents working and living near Westlake Park, met with police to talk about escalating violence in the park about 2½ weeks before Crudo, 26, was attacked on July 18.
“They were seeing things getting worse and worse” and so requested a meeting with police officials from West Precinct, Reddy said. “The police responded that their hands were tied. … There was a meeting with the police prior to this incident and nothing was done.”
Reddy said the criminal element that hangs out around Westlake Park seem to know when police shift changes occur and “it’s kind of free rein” during those times.
A 13-year-old boy was charged with first-degree robbery last week in connection with the attack on Crudo, as well as theft and fourth-degree assault for a separate incident involving a skateboarder. Crudo suffered a broken arm and nose, a concussion and a knee injury in the attack.
A Seattle police spokesman referred questions to the Seattle City Attorney’s Office. Kimberly Mills, a spokeswoman for City Attorney Pete Holmes, said her office does not comment on pending litigation.
October 4, 2013 at 4:44 PM
A 13-year-old Des Moines boy was arrested by Seattle police Thursday night in connection with a vicious beating of a security guard in Westlake Park in July.
The boy made his first court appearance in King County Juvenile Court on Friday, where a judge found probable cause that the boy committed the crimes of third-degree assault and second-degree robbery, said Dan Donohoe, a spokesman for King County Prosecutor Dan Satterberg.
The judge granted him a home pass for the weekend provided he is under constant supervision of his parents, and he is to return to court on Monday, when he will be placed on electronic-home monitoring, Donohoe said.
The Seattle Times is not naming the boy because he is a juvenile and has not yet been charged with a crime.
According to the probable-cause statement outlining the police case against the boy, the security guard/concierge was working at the Seaboard Building, an historic condo building that borders Westlake Park, when he witnessed a theft by three young women around 7 p.m. on July 19. He went to the alleged theft victim and informed that person what he had witnessed, prompting the three women to begin yelling and verbally abusing the security guard, the statement says.
One of the women pushed the guard in the chest, at which point, five to seven males ran over and began punching and kicking the security guard, knocking him to the ground, it says.
The 13-year-old allegedly kicked the guard’s head several times and attempted to steal his wallet, the statement says.
Those involved in the beating scattered when a park ranger working in Westlake Park approached, it says. Medics took the security guard to Harborview Medical Center to be treated for a concussion, broken nose, broken right arm, a cut above his right eye, a chipped tooth and injuries to his right knee, the statement says.
The park ranger saw the 13-year-old in a candy store, which also borders the park, four days later and called police, who interviewed and released the boy, according to the statement.
On Wednesday, the security guard identified the 13-year-old as one of his alleged attackers from a police photo montage, the statement says. He told detectives that he got a good look at the boy before he lost consciousness but couldn’t identify anyone else involved because it had happened too fast, it says.
In an August letter sent to Seattle Mayor Mike McGinn and members of the Seattle City Council, William Mackay — a resident of the Seaboard Building and president of Friends of Westlake — urged officials to permanently assign police officers to Westlake Park, citing the alleged attack on the security guard. According to his letter, a gang of 20 to 30 young people have taken over the southern section of the park, where they remain all day with their dogs and possessions, selling and smoking marijuana.
“The city has always thrown temporary police resources at the problem, but as soon as the extra police presence is inevitably withdrawn, the gang returns. This scenario is no longer working. This gang is more determined and much more violent than in the past,” Mackay wrote.
August 20, 2012 at 4:25 PM
A King County judge today ruled that a 16-year-old boy accused of two rapes in Kent last year should be prosecuted in adult court.
Chrisean Cressel is accused of raping a 19-year-old woman behind a chiropractor’s office and a 17-year-old girl who was assaulted behind an apartment complex in Kent. The rapes occurred Oct. 29 and 30, when Cressel was 15.
Both victims were walking home from bus stops when they were approached by a youth, who threatened to shoot them if they resisted, according to a probable-cause statement that outlines the police case.
Witnesses who had seen the male at businesses near the intersection of 116th Avenue Southeast and Southeast Kent Kangley Road, along with video surveillance footage from a gas station and the chiropractor’s office, helped police identify the suspect, the statement says.
After his arrest, Cressel was charged in juvenile court with two counts of first-degree rape and two counts of first-degree kidnapping with sexual motivation. Prosecutors re-filed the charges in adult court this afternoon after Superior Court Judge Barbara Mack announced her decision.
Cressel will be arraigned on Aug. 30.
The Seattle Times generally does not name juvenile suspects unless they are prosecuted in adult court.
February 3, 2012 at 4:37 PM
Police have made three arrests, and say more arrests are likely, in connection with a series of cases in which phones or other electronic gear were snatched out of the hands of Link light rail passengers.
Ten incidents were reported in January under similar circumstances, with items being grabbed away from passengers as the trains arrived at station platforms. Sound Transit Police have been working with Metro Transit Police and Seattle Police to track down suspects.
Most of the incidents occurred in the Rainier Valley and involved teenage suspects, police said.
Compact, handheld electronic equipment has been the favorite target of opportunistic thieves who take advantage of riders who may not be paying attention to their surroundings, police said.
Police said all Sound Transit light rail trains and platforms are equipped with surveillance cameras, and that uniformed and non-uniformed police patrol the trains and platforms, along with security guards and fare-enforcement officers.
November 11, 2011 at 10:40 PM
A 15-year-old boy was arrested Friday for allegedly taking a gun into two high schools in Kitsap County, the sheriff’s office said.
The boy reportedly brought the firearm to Central Kitsap High School on Thursday, and brandished it at Raab Park in Poulsbo while trying to pick a fight with a student from another high school, the sheriff’s office said.
The boy then walked into North Kitsap High School while hiding the gun, but was asked to leave because he wasn’t a student there. He walked to a nearby park and reportedly fired one shot, the sheriff’s office said.
The firearm, which wasn’t described, was allegedly stolen from his home on Naval Base Kitsap — Bangor. The gun was recovered Thursday.
The youth was booked into the juvenile detention center for investigation of carrying a dangerous weapon on school facilities; unlawful possession of a firearm by a minor; and exhibiting, displaying or carrying a firearm with intent to intimidate, the sheriff’s office said.
November 7, 2011 at 3:58 PM
– From Times staff reporter Nancy Bartley:
The Snohomish High School student accused of stabbing two schoolmates last month will learn tomorrow when a hearing will be scheduled to determine whether she will be prosecuted as a juvenile or an adult.
A date for the so-called decline hearing will be set during the court proceeding tomorrow morning in Everett. Deputy Prosecutor Cindy Larsen said the decline hearing will likely be in January to give the defense attorney time to have the girl evaluated by a mental-health expert.
Juvenile sentences end at 21, unlike sentences imposed on adult defendants.
According to charging documents, the 15-year-old girl walked out of a restroom stall on the morning of Oct. 24 and stabbed April Lutz, 14, from behind. April’s friend, Bekah Staudacher, 15, tried to intervene and was stabbed in the arm.
April’s doctors later told reporters she suffered 10 stab wounds in her heart, lungs, neck and thigh and numerous lacerations. Both victims are expected to fully recover.
The alleged attacker has been charged with one count of first-degree attempted murder and one count of first-degree assault. The Seattle Times is not naming her because she is charged as a juvenile.
October 18, 2011 at 9:29 PM
Kitsap County sheriff’s deputies on Tuesday arrested two 10-year-old boys after discovering a loaded handgun in one of the student’s backpacks at Silverdale Elementary School in Central Kitsap County.
One of the boys “wanted to assault certain members of his own family,” the Sheriff’s Office said in a statement Tuesday night.
The boys were arrested at about 3 p.m. and taken to a juvenile-detention facility where they were charged with various weapons offenses.
The boy who wanted to shoot members of his family asked his friend to bring a handgun to school, according to a police narrative. The friend found the keys to his family’s gun safe, removed a .40-caliber semiautomatic handgun and put it in his backpack.
The boys tried firing the weapon at a clearing near the school but were unsuccessful, police said. They showed the gun to other students on the bus.
Word quickly spread there was a gun on school grounds, and a teacher found the weapon and brought the backpack to the school office, police said. A sheriff’s deputy found that the gun was loaded with 10 rounds in the ammunition magazine, although the chamber was empty.
The student who brought the gun to school was charged with unlawful possession of a firearm, possession of a weapon on school property and conspiracy to commit assault with a deadly weapon. The other student was charged with conspiracy to commit assault with a deadly weapon.
About The Today File
The Today File is a general news blog featuring real-time coverage of Seattle and the Northwest. It is reported by the news staff of The Seattle Times and edited by Assistant Metro Editor Nick Provenza.
Trending with readers