Topic: King County Sheriff’s Office
You are viewing the most recent posts on this topic.
December 5, 2013 at 1:19 PM
A King County sheriff’s deputy who threatened a newspaper editor with arrest during a sidewalk confrontation in July has been placed on administrative leave pending the final results of an internal investigation into his behavior.
King County Sheriff John Urquhart confirmed today that Deputy Patrick Saulet was placed on paid administrative leave before Thanksgiving for allegedly threatening to arrest Dominic Holden, news editor for The Stranger weekly newspaper.
Holden wrote that he was riding his bike past Fourth Avenue South and South Jackson Street about 7:25 p.m. on July 30 when he saw six law enforcement officers surrounding a man who was seated on a planter box at a transit station.
Holden said he took a photo from a public sidewalk of Saulet, who told Holden to leave the area or risk arrest. Holden then spoke to a Seattle police officer, who reportedly threatened to come to Holden’s office and bother him while he was working.
Taking photos of police activity on public property is legal.
“As long as they are not directly interfering with an investigation, they have a right to stand there and videotape or take photos,” said sheriff’s spokeswoman Sgt. Cindi West following the incident.
December 4, 2013 at 11:43 AM
The brother of a White Center man who was killed when he was mistaken for a gang member a week ago appealed for someone with information to come forward.
The victim, Michael Delfin-Rodriguez, 22, and his brother, Saul Delfin-Rodriquez, were walking down Southwest 108th Street near Second Avenue Southwest around 2 a.m. Nov. 27 when two young men confronted them and accused them of being in a rival gang, according to the King County Sheriff’s Office.
Both denied any gang affiliation and, as they tried walking away, were shot at. At least one young man fired several shots. Michael Delfin-Rodriquez was shot in the back and died.
Saul Delfin-Rodriguez, spoke about his slain brother at a news conference Wednesday morning.
“My brother is the last person who should’ve died that day because he was all about family,” he said.
He said he and Michael had gone out that night to get something to drink when they encountered two teenagers.
“They looked like a bunch of kids to us,” Saul said. They tried ignoring them, but they opened fire, he said.
“It was completely random,” he said.
Neighbors were only able to report they saw two black male juveniles running from the scene.
Asked what he would say to the people responsible for the slaying, Saul said, “You guys have to pay for this sooner or later.”
Anyone with additional details about the slaying is asked to call the King County Sheriff’s Office detectives at 206-296-3311.
“A young man has lost his life because he was mistaken to be in a gang,” Deputy Charlie Akers said last week.
November 25, 2013 at 11:12 AM
A man who was traveling in a bike lane in a motorized wheelchair was struck by a car this morning in Shoreline.
King County sheriff’s deputy Charlie Akers said the accident happened around 9 a.m. at North 155th Street and Densmore Avenue North. The man in the wheelchair suffered a compound fracture to his leg and was taken to a local hospital.
The driver of the car was not hurt, Akers said.
Akers did indicate the cause of the crash.
“It is all under investigation. It is unknown whether charges will filed,” Akers said.
November 4, 2013 at 4:42 PM
With the assistance of a King County Sheriff’s Office helicopter, Seattle police officers cornered a burglar who had hopped onto the roofs of at least four Central District houses before he surrendered.
The helicopter helped police narrow down the location of one of two burglars involved with a Friday home invasion using a night-vision camera, which also recorded the end of the chase.
The chase began when a Central District resident called 911 at 9:08 p.m. to report that he heard the sliding-glass door at a neighbor’s home shatter and believed a burglary was in progress.
Officers responding to the 400 block of 21st Avenue saw one of two suspects running from the scene. That suspect at first eluded police on foot but was later seen and arrested.
To catch the second suspect, the King County sheriff’s air-support team’s helicopter scanned the neighborhood from above. Its night-vision camera, as shown in the video (http://youtu.be/7f7dWlSQFLk), caught the image of a person trying to stay calm and quiet on a rooftop as police and canine units searched yards below.
Once the air-support team alerted police on the ground, the suspect attempted to flee by running and jumping onto three other rooftops before he ran out of homes to hop onto. Once he realized he had nowhere to go, he put both hands up and surrendered to police.
Both suspects, a 20-year-old and a 22-year-old, were booked into King County Jail for investigation of burglary.
October 22, 2013 at 3:57 PM
A 24-year-old Kenmore woman accused of a fatal hit-and-run crash early Monday morning in Kenmore was apparently the person who alerted authorities to the incident, according to the King County Sheriff’s Office.
The woman, who is not being named because she hasn’t been charged, was ordered held today in lieu of $25,000 bail.
The woman allegedly struck Joseph D. Humphreys, 31, of Kenmore around 1:30 a.m. while he was walking in the 18400 block of 62nd Avenue Northeast.
Authorities believe that after the crash the woman took her dog for a walk. While out for a walk she came upon the body and dialed 911, law enforcement officials said.
The suspect directed deputies to her Ford F150 pickup, which appeared to have been involved in a crash, the sheriff’s office said.
Sheriff’s Sgt. Cindi West said the woman turned herself in at the Kenmore City Hall on Monday afternoon.
October 21, 2013 at 4:09 PM
The driver believed to be responsible for a fatal hit-and-run in Kenmore has turned herself in to the King County Sheriff’s Office.
The suspect, a 24-year-old woman, surrendered this afternoon at Kenmore City Hall, said sheriff’s spokeswoman Sgt. Cindi West. In addition, the pickup believed to be involved in the accident was towed from the 18700 block of Kenlake Place, West said.
The body of the victim, a 31-year-old Kenmore man, was found along the 18400 block of 62nd Avenue Northeast about 1:30 a.m. Monday by a woman walking her dog.
The King County Medical Examiner’s Office has identified the victim as Joseph D. Humphreys.
Mark Humphreys, the victim’s father, told Times news partner KING-TV he wasn’t looking for justice.
“I’m only looking for answers and an apology,” he said. “I’m not after nobody. I just wanna know. I loved him.”
Injuries sustained by Humphreys were consistent with being hit by a vehicle, and detectives said debris left at the scene included part of a headlight that likely came from a 2003-2004 Ford F150 pickup.
Anyone with information on the accident is asked to call the sheriff’s office at 206-296-3311. Callers can also contact Crime Stoppers and remain anonymous and receive a reward up to $1,000 for information leading to an arrest: 1-800-222-TIPS (8477).
October 21, 2013 at 10:51 AM
A sex offender with a “horrendous” criminal history in Canada has registered as a sex offender with the King County Sheriff’s Office, listing his general location as First Street and Pine Avenue in downtown Seattle, near Pike Place Market and one block from a preschool, according to records.
Washington state’s sex offender registry shows that Michael Sean Stanley, 48, registered as a transient and was listed as a “Level 2″ offender.
Sheriff’s spokeswoman Sgt. Cindi West said Stanley has been classified at this time as a “Level 2″ instead of “Level 3” offender because it is the minimum level for an offender registered as a transient.
She said Stanley’s offenses did not require him to register as a sex offender in Canada and local law enforcement is still waiting for documentation from Canada to determine whether he is legally required to register in the U.S. That will depend on whether his offenses are comparable to offenses in the U.S. requiring registration, West said.
Stanley’s classification will be determined by a state-approved scoring tool once it is determine whether he will be required to register in the U.S., West said.
West said that unless a person is being monitored by the state Department of Corrections or has probation restrictions on where they may live, a sex offender can live near a school or child-care facility.
Level 2 offenders have a moderate risk of re-offending, according to the sheriff’s website.
They generally have more than one victim and the abuse may be long-term. These offenders usually groom their victims and may use threats to commit their crimes.
These crimes may be predatory with the offender using a position of trust to commit their crimes. Typically these individuals do not appreciate the damage they have done to their victims, according to the website.
Stanley, who has a history of sexual offenses against women and children, caused school closures in Canada after he cut off his electronic-monitoring bracelet on Oct. 1. About a week later he crossed into the U.S. and made his way to Seattle.
Ilene Stark, executive director of the Pike Market Child Care and Preschool at Post Alley, which is within a block of Stanley’s registered address, said security at the market is aware of Stanley and his situation.
“It is upsetting and disturbing that he is wanted in Canada, but market security is really on top of it,” Stark said this morning.
She said last week security officers came to the child care program with a photo of Stanley. The photo was distributed to every staff member and every parent, she said.
“Everyone is aware and vigilant, and we’re all doing everything we can do to keep everyone safe,” Stark said.
Canadian officials have issued a public alert describing Stanley as an untreated, violent offender who posed a significant risk, but also said they would not seek his extradition back to Canada.
Although it is not clear whether Stanley must legally register as a sex offender, authorities in Seattle asked him to register, which he did.
Stanley, a U.S. citizen, has a criminal record in Washington, including in King County, but none of his Washington state convictions involves a sex crime, according to court records.
After his April 2011 release from prison in Canada, Stanley was being monitored by police behavioral specialists in Edmonton and required to wear an ankle bracelet that electronically monitored his whereabouts at all times, said Edmonton Police Services spokesman Chad Orydzuk.
U.S. Customs and Border Protection officials said Friday that Stanley’s right to privacy prohibits the agency from discussing why he wasn’t turned over to Canadian authorities before being allowed into the U.S., or how it is that someone with his record of sex crimes was allowed to cross into the U.S. without further scrutiny.
October 7, 2013 at 3:44 PM
A five-month investigation into the finances of a non-profit organization run by a King County sheriff’s deputy and aimed at girls and women involved in the sex trade turned up sloppy accounting and poor management, but no crime, according to a letter from federal prosecutors released by the Sheriff’s Office Monday.
Deputy Andy Conner had been placed on administrative leave during the investigation, which originated when allegations of financial malfeasances in operation of The Genesis Project led to an internal investigation. The probe was turned over to the FBI and a detective on the U.S. Secret Services’s Electronic Crimes Task Force.
A letter sent Sept. 25 from the U.S. Attorney’s Office said the investigation into allegations that as much as $50,000 may have been embezzled from the project turned up no evidence of a crime. The project’s employees were interviewed, its books were reviewed by an FBI forensic accountant, and prosecutors reviewed the records.
“Your investigation failed to substantiate the allegations of financial maslfeasance by Conner. Investigators were able to verify and justify all but a few minor cash withdrawals,” wrote Assistant U.S. Attorney Lawrence Lincoln. “Your investigation did show that Conner oversaw an organization that suffered from very poor workplace management, lack of experience in non-profit operations, and inadequate financial controls.”
A telephone message left with Conner was not immediately returned.
Conner is the idea man behind The Genesis Project, a nonprofit drop-in shelter that opened in SeaTac in summer 2011 to provide a safe haven for women involved in the sex trade. Conner and sheriff’s Detectives Brian Taylor and Joel Banks pooled their money and raised funds to launch the center to offer girls and women a way out of prostitution.
The Seattle Times profiled The Genesis Project and the three men last year.
October 4, 2013 at 6:16 PM
UPDATE, 7:21 p.m. | The shooting suspect has been arrested, according to King County Sheriff’s spokeswoman Cindi West. He was found hiding in an apartment complex in the 10600 block of 22nd Avenue South.
ORIGINAL POST | The King County Sheriff’s Office has released surveillance footage photos of a suspect being sought in a shooting in Des Moines today. The man is thought to be hiding in an apartment complex in the 10600 block of 22nd Avenue, according to sheriff’s spokeswoman Cindi West.
This post will be updated as more details become available.
October 4, 2013 at 10:19 AM
The King County Medical Examiner’s Office is still working to identify a man who was fatally shot by the owner of a Kent tree nursery during an apparent burglary early Wednesday.
According to the Sheriff’s Office, the owner shot and killed the alleged intruder and held a second man at gunpoint until deputies arrived at his nearly 20-acre property. Sheriff’s Sgt. Cindi West said the owner of Frager Farm Stand, in the 25100 block of Frager Road South, was getting ready for bed around 1:30 a.m. when he went to investigate a noise in his business, which is adjacent to his house.
He grabbed his shotgun and discovered two young men rifling through his office, she said.
According to court documents, the man who was killed and a 21-year-old who survived went to Frager Farm around 10:30 p.m. and kicked open the front door. They became “spooked” and ran away, but returned later that night.
Deputies said the two had been smoking meth earlier that night.
The 21-year-old suspect was booked into the King County Jail just after 5:30 a.m. Wednesday on investigation of burglary. He is also being held on a bench warrant that was issued Sept. 17 after he failed to show up in court to resolve a November 2012 violation for driving without a license, jail and court records show. The man is being held in lieu of $25,000 bail.
About The Today File
The Today File is a general news blog featuring real-time coverage of Seattle and the Northwest. It is reported by the news staff of The Seattle Times and edited by Assistant Metro Editor Nick Provenza.
Trending with readers