One of North Korea’s three imprisoned Americans was released today, reviving hopes that Kenneth Bae, 46, of Lynnwood may be the next to come home — long before serving his full, 15-year sentence in one of the communist country’s notoriously harsh labor camps. Today, though, only Jeffrey Fowle, 56, of Ohio was sent home. Bae’s sister,…More
Topic: North Korea
You are viewing the most recent posts on this topic.
After struggling with life-threatening health issues earlier this year, Kenneth Bae of Lynnwood may be sent back to a North Korean labor camp, according to CNN, which cites a Japanese newspaper. Bae, who’s been North Korea’s longest-held U.S. captive since the Korean War, pleaded for quick intervention while wearing a blue labor camp uniform in a…More
Will Dennis Rodman take up the case of the Lynnwood man being held in North Korea? The former basketball star is in North Korea to visit his “friend,” leader Kim Jong Un, but declined to say if he’ll help Lynnwood’s Kenneth Bae who’s been held there for what the country says is…More
North Korea rescinded an invitation to a U.S. envoy who was to travel to Pyongyang on Friday to negotiate for the release of an imprisoned Lynnwood man. Family members of Kenneth Bae, who was detained last November and accused of committing “hostile acts” against North Korea, said in a news release that they were disappointed but “have…More
WASHINGTON — A senior U.S. envoy will travel to North Korea this week to seek the release of a Lynnwood man sentenced to 15 years of hard labor in the authoritarian country, the State Department said Tuesday.
The visit by Bob King, the U.S. special envoy for North Korean human rights issues, will be the first public trip to North Korea by an administration official in more than two years and could provide an opening for an improvement in relations severely strained by Pyongyang’s pursuit of nuclear weapons.More
The U.S. is pressing North Korea to release a Korean-American Lynnwood resident, who has been held for nine months on charges of trying to overthrow the communist regime, the Yonhap news agency reports. Kenneth Bae, who is based in China, was traveling in North Korea in November when he was arrested and sentenced to 15 years…More
A Lynnwood man sentenced to hard labor in North Korea has asked his captors to “forgive” him and for the U.S. to “try harder” to bring him home. In an interview with Choson Sinbo, a pro-North Korean newspaper based in Japan, Kenneth Bae spoke in Korean and said he has been working at the prison’s farm. “I…More
The Associated Press SEOUL, South Korea — North Korea says a Lynnwood man detained for nearly six months has been sentenced to 15 years of “compulsory labor” for crimes against the state. Pyongyang state media said Thursday that the trial took place Tuesday but provided no other new details in announcing Kenneth Bae’s sentencing. Bae was tried in…More
PYONGYANG, North Korea — North Korea said Saturday it will soon put a detained American from Lynnwood on trial for allegedly trying to overthrow the government, further complicating already fraught relations between Pyongyang and Washington. The indictment of Kenneth Bae comes in the middle of something of a lull after weeks of war threats and other provocative…More
A Lynnwood man is reportedly being held by the government of North Korea. The New York Times reported Thursday that 44-year-old Kenneth Bae was detained in early November, while escorting five European tourists through the North Korean city of Rajin. The paper said Bae runs a travel company that specializes in taking tourists and potential investors…More