Topic: Pierce County Prosecuting Attorney’s Office
You are viewing the most recent posts on this topic.
October 28, 2013 at 4:24 PM
The Associated Press
TACOMA — A 47-year-old Lakewood man accused of having sex with a 13-year-old Kelso girl has been charged with second-degree rape.
Glen Winans was arraigned Monday and bail was set at $100,000.
Pierce County prosecutors say Winans met the victim online while he was deployed in Afghanistan. The two exchanged messages. Prosecutors say Winans met the victim for the first time last month when he drove to her home in Kelso, took her to a movie and later had sex with her.
Police were alerted last week when a waitress at a Lakewood cafe overheard Winans tell the girl that he liked young girls. The waitress called police.
Prosecutors say the victim told officers that the two had sex. Winans denied having a sexual relationship with the victim.
He is scheduled to appear with an attorney at his next court date Nov. 12.
October 8, 2013 at 12:21 PM
TACOMA — A soldier has been charged with first-degree murder in connection with the fatal stabbing of a fellow soldier in Lakewood early Saturday morning.
Jeremiah DeShaun Hill, 23, is charged with first-degree murder in the slaying of Spc. Tevin Geike, 20, of Summerville, S.C.
Two other soldiers, Ajoni Runnion-Bareford, 21, and Cedarium L. Johnson, 21, were charged with first-degree rendering criminal assistance, according to the Pierce County Prosecuting Attorney’s Office. The defendants and Geike are all based at Joint Base Lewis-McChord.
During an emotional court hearing this afternoon, Hill pleaded not guilty to the murder charge. Pierce County Superior Court Commissioner Meagan Foley set his bail at $2 million. Runnion-Bareford also pleaded not guilty and Foley set his bail at $250,000.
Johnson pleaded not guilty, and Foley allowed him to go free on personal recognizance. He is restricted to Joint Base Lewis-McChord.
According to the affidavit of probable cause outlining the police case, Geike and two others were walking in the 12500 block of Pacific Avenue Southwest around 2:30 a.m. when someone from a passing vehicle yelled “hateful remarks” at them, according to witnesses. One witness could not recall what the remark was, the affidavit says.
But a news release this afternoon from the Pierce County Prosecuting Attorney’s Office characterized the comment as an “unspecified racial slur.”
One of the members of Geike’s group yelled back something about being combat veterans, the affidavit says.
At that point, the car pulled over and four men got out and approached Geike and his friends, the affidavit says.
“When the participants learned that both the walkers and the men in the car were soldiers, some of the men in the sedan backed away and it appeared the incident was over,” the affidavit says.
One of the men in the car, later identified as Hill, then grabbed Geike and threw him on the ground, according to the affidavit. Hill and the other men then got back in the car and drove off.
“At that point the victim’s friend realized that Mr. Geike had been stabbed,” the affidavit says.
Geike died at the scene. An autopsy showed he had suffered a superficial stab wound to the right side and a second wound to the chest that penetrated his heart, according to the affidavit.
Johnson is charged for his role in the escape as well as the disposal of the knife, which was discarded in Tillicum, the affidavit alleges. Runnion-Bareford is also accused of helping dispose of the knife as well as attempting to clean and hide the car, the affidavit says.
Police later found the knife they believe was used in the slaying.
On Monday, Army Spc. Brian Johnson, who was with Geike during the attack, turned aside questions on whether the attack may have been racially motivated, a possibility raised in police accounts over the weekend. According to those initial reports, the suspects, all African American, may have made a comment about Geike and his companions being white.
But Lakewood Police Lt. Chris Lawler said, “It appears from interviewing everyone involved that race was not a motivating factor in this homicide.” Lawler said the two men who were with Hill told police they were surprised their companion attacked Geike, and they did not know why he did it, police said.
Pierce County Prosecuting Attorney Mark Lindquist agreed.
“Both friends of the victim and friends of the suspect agree that race was not the issue here,” Lindquist told The News Tribune. “Detectives reported to me that there may have been some trash talk, but that race was a non-issue.”
July 16, 2013 at 1:45 PM
A 14-year-old Puyallup boy was charged on Tuesday with first-degree attempted murder, rape, rape of a child and kidnapping in connection with an attack on his 7-year-old neighbor last week that left the girl hospitalized.
Prosecutors additionally said they will seek to have the boy prosecuted as an adult.
“Rarely do we ask the court to treat a 14-year-old offender as an adult, but this is one of those few cases where the severity of the offense and the safety of our community call out for adult-sized accountability,” said Pierce County Prosecuting Attorney Mark Lindquist.
If convicted as a juvenile, the boy would face a maximum sentence of 6 1/2 years in a juvenile detention facility. If convicted as an adult, he could face a standard sentence of 30 years or more, prosecutors said.
At his arraignment in Pierce County Juvenile Court on Tuesday, the teen pleaded not guilty to all charges. The Seattle Times is not naming the teen because he is charged as a juvenile at this time. A hearing to determine whether he should be prosecuted as an adult has been set for July 30.
According to the charging documents, the teen is alleged to have lured a neighbor girl into the woods behind their apartment complex in the 700 block of 43rd Avenue Southeast on the evening of July 10. There, he brutally beat her, sexually assaulted her and choked into unconsciousness, prosecutors allege.
When police, with the help of neighbors and a bloodhound, found the girl several hours later, she had to be carried out of the woods, police said. Her neck wounds required surgical repair and a medical exam showed “clear signs” of sexual assault, according to prosecutors.
The girl was able to identify her alleged attacker by his first name and point out the building he lived in, prosecutors said.
When a search warrant was served on the suspect’s home early the next morning, bloody clothes were found in a bag, prosecutors allege.
Police and prosecutors say that the boy initially denied harming the girl, but later admitted to taking her into the woods. The teen allegedly told police that he lured the girl into the woods then became “annoyed” at her, flew into a rage and beat her, according to the documents.
The teen allegedly told police he knew he “had to get rid of her so she couldn’t tell anyone,” so he dragged her farther into the woods and choked her until she passed out, prosecutors say in charging documents.
May 20, 2013 at 11:45 AM
Tacoma brothers Luis Arroyo, 17, Cristobal Arroyo, 15, pleaded guilty today to first-degree murder for killing a 15-year-old boy in their home last June.
Luis Arroyo was sentenced to to 26 ½ years in prison and Cristobal Arroyo was sentenced to 24 years.
“This was a brutal crime where justice required that the juvenile perpetrators be held accountable as adults,” Pierce County Prosecutor Mark Lindquist said in a news release. ”The Defendants plead guilty to an adult-sized crime, Murder One, and received adult-sized sentences.”
The victim, Hector Hernandez-Valdez, met Luis Arroyo at the brothers’ home on June 1 and the two got into a fight, according to prosecutors. Cristobal Arroyo, hearing the struggle, armed himself with a shank and stabbed Hernandez-Valdez in the neck and back.
The brothers moved Hernandez-Valdez into a bathtub to “drain him,” according to prosecutors. Hernandez-Valdez was still alive and making noises so one of the brothers cut his throat, prosecutors said.
The boys’ mother told police she arrived home that afternoon to find a blue recycling bin in the living room of her home, along with towels bearing reddish-brown stains. Her sons claimed they were cleaning up chili, but she realized it was blood, prosecutors said.
The teens then told her a man attacked them and they were forced to kill him, but the defendant’s mother went upstairs and found the victim on a sheet, Lindquist said.
She drove to a Tacoma police substation to report the crime. Officers who went to the home found the victim’s body, wrapped in a blanket, in a recycling bin in the alley.
An autopsy revealed that Hernandez-Valdez had been stabbed or cut more than 34 times in the head, neck, back, hands, and chest.
Luis Arroyo was automatically prosecuted as an adult. Earlier this year, a judge ruled that Cristobal Arroyo, who was 14 at the time of the murder, would also be treated as an adult.
November 5, 2012 at 1:06 PM
Five teens boys, including a 13-year-old, have each been charged with five counts of first-degree robbery and conspiracy to commit robbery in connection with a series of armed muggings in Tacoma on Halloween night.
Pierce County Prosecutor Mark Lindquist says three of the teens have been charged as adults: Zyion Houston-Sconiers, 17; Treson Roberts, 16; and Amancio Tolbert, 16. The other two, the 13-year-old and a 15-year-old, are being prosecuted as juveniles, he said.
“Three of these defendants are charged as adults because of their age and seriousness of the crimes,” Lindquist said in a news release. “There will be full accountability for everyone involved in these dangerous armed robberies.”
Police say the teens wore blue bandanas and robbed children and adults at gunpoint in a series of muggings that began at 9 p.m. Taken during the robberies were backpacks, cell phones and a pillowcase full of candy, police said.
A police dog tracked them to a parked car where they were arrested. Officers also recovered the stolen items and seized the masks and a .22-caliber revolver used in the robberies.
October 3, 2012 at 11:50 AM
A seventh person was charged today in connection with last month’s robbery, kidnapping and slaying of a 51-year-old man whose body was dumped outside a vacant Graham house.
John Joseph Brown, 60, is scheduled to be arraigned this afternoon in Pierce County Superior Court.
Five others charged in the slaying of Dean Barker of Lakewood were arraigned yesterday and all pleaded not guilty. They are: Aileenah Horton, 17; William Barry, 33; Angela King, 32; Justin Mahaffey, 23; and Joshua Stevens, 23. Another co-defendant, Jeffrey Powell II, 30, is being sought on a nationwide warrant.
“We have now charged all the defendants involved in this robbery, kidnapping, and brutal murder,” Pierce County Prosecutor Mark Lindquist said in a news release. “All seven are complicit in the death of Mr. Barker. The motive remains murky. … What we know is that all the defendants were involved in a robbery and kidnapping at defendant Brown’s house that led to murder.”
October 2, 2012 at 1:29 PM
Six people, including a 17-year-old girl, were charged today with first-degree murder in connection with last month’s kidnapping and slaying of a Lakewood man.
“The motive for this kidnapping and brutal murder is still murky,” Pierce County Prosecutor Mark Lindquist said in a news release. “Some of the defendants alleged that the victim was somehow involved in the disappearance of a three-year-old, and that he previously sexually assaulted defendant King, but there’s no corroborative evidence to support these claims.”
Charged were: Jeffrey Powell II, 30; William Barry, 33; Aileenah Horton, 17; Angela King, 32; Justin Mahaffey, 23; and Joshua Stevens, 23. They have also been charged with robbery.
Five of the defendants, except for Powell, are in custody and were arraigned this afternoon in Tacoma. All five pleaded not guilty, according to the Tacoma News Tribune.
A warrant has been issued for Powell’s arrest.
According to the news release:
The victim, Dean Barker, 51, and the six defendants were together on Sept. 7 when Barry began attacking Barker. Others joined in the attack and they stole Barker’s wallet, watch and his car. The group divided up his cash.
Barker, who was still alive, was taken outside and loaded into an SUV. He was strangled and his body was left in the front yard of a vacant home in Graham.
According to the defendants, King claimed that Barker had sexually assaulted her weeks ago, the news release said. Barry’s daughter had gone missing for approximately three hours earlier that day and Barry blamed Barker.
The unharmed child was found by police that same day.
Horton, the 17-year-old, has been charged as an adult because of the seriousness of the crime, according to Lindquist.
April 30, 2012 at 1:55 PM
A Buckley woman was charged today with first-degree child assault after authorities say she repeatedly put bleach into her young daughter’s eyes.
Jennifer Lynn Mothershead, 29, was booked into the Pierce County Jail on Friday. She is being held in lieu of $150,000 bail.
The abuse was suspected by doctors at Harborview Medical Center and Seattle Children’s Hospital after the girl, who was then 14 months old, was airlifted to Harborview on May 12, 2011. The child was hospitalized for a brain injury, and doctors found “bruising and an eye infection that was concerning,” Pierce County Deputy Prosecutor Grant Blinn wrote in charges.
The girl might be permanently blinded, charges said.
She was removed from her mother’s custody last year. Now 2 years old, she lives with her father. The couple are separated, authorities said.
When asked last year about the eye infection, Mothershead said the girl’s eyes had been swollen shut for about four weeks and that the child slept almost 22 hours each day, according to charges. She believed the girl had “a corneal abrasion” caused by playing in a barn. Mothershead told investigators she had antibiotics and eye drops for the girl and that the child fought her when she put them in her eyes, so much so that she needed to have the child ”swaddled,” prosecutors said.
When hospital staff opened the medications, a “noxious odor filled the room” and staff complained of burning eyes and mild nausea, charges said. The case detective smelled the medication and noticed a strong chemical odor, and her eyes began watering. A laboratory test revealed bleach in the drops, charges said.
Blinn, the prosecutor, said the case took almost a year to charge because of the need for laboratory work and an investigation by the Pierce County Sheriff’s Department.
“The motive isn’t 100 percent clear yet. Detectives are continuing to investigate,” Blinn said.
April 2, 2012 at 11:41 AM
Aleesha Walker, 28, called 911 around 7 a.m. Friday and said she had just killed her child, the prosecutor’s office said. She told the 911 operator that she had struck the child’s head on a dresser and also referred to smothering the child.
She reported hearing voices and said she acted, at least in part, as directed by those voices, the prosecutor’s office said.
When police arrived they found a small child lying naked on the floor with dried blood spots on his face. Walker allegedly told officers at the scene, “God knows what I did … I’m bad for doing what I did,” the prosecutor’s office said.
Walker’s downstairs neighbor told police that he awoke to the sound of a thud on the floor of the defendant’s apartment around 6 a.m.
The child was pronounced dead at Mary Bridge Children’s Hospital. Pierce County Medical Examiner Dr. Thomas Clark determined the likely cause of death was smothering.
Walker is scheduled to be arraigned at 1:30 p.m. today.
March 28, 2012 at 10:03 AM
Pierce County prosecutors this morning filed second-degree manslaughter charges against a man and a woman in connection with the death of a 3-year-old boy who accidentally shot himself with the man’s handgun on March 14 in Tacoma.
The boy, Julio Segura-McIntosh, shot himself while in a minivan at a gas station when the man was outside the vehicle and the boys’ mother was inside the convenience store. The man had a concealed weapons permit and had left the handgun in the minivan when he went to pump gas, police said.
Charged were the boy’s mother, Jahnisha McIntosh, 22, and her friend, Eric Vita, 23. They turned themselves in last night and will be arraigned this afternoon in Tacoma.
Vita told investigators that he left the handgun in the minivan because the last time he was at a gas station the clerk spotted the handgun in his waistband and summoned police, according to the Pierce County Prosecutor’s Office.
McIntosh’s friends and family told detectives that Vita routinely showed off the gun. On one occasion, Vita allegedly offered to let Julio hold the gun before another adult intervened, according to the prosecutor’s office.
The boy’s death was the third accidental shooting of child in three weeks in Western Washington.
On March 10, Jenna Carlile, the 7-year-old daughter of a Marysville police officer, died after she was shot by her younger brother while they were alone in the family car in Stanwood. The father, Officer Derek Carlisle, had left a handgun in the vehicle and was standing outside with his wife when the shooting occurred, according to police.
On Feb. 22, 9-year-old Amina Kocer-Bowman was critically wounded at an East Bremerton elementary school after a gun in a classmate’s backpack accidentally discharged. A 9-year-old boy told police he had taken the gun from the home of his mother and her boyfriend.
About The Today File
The Today File is a general news blog featuring real-time coverage of Seattle and the Northwest. It is reported by the news staff of The Seattle Times and edited by Assistant Metro Editor Nick Provenza.
Trending with readers