You are viewing the most recent posts on this topic.
March 2, 2013 at 10:51 AM
A 41-year-old inmate who died Thursday in the Snohomish County Jail has been identified as Leon B. Moore of Snohomish, according to the Snohomish County Medical Examiner’s Office.
When corrections staff went to check on Moore in the jail’s medical facility they found he was not breathing and unresponsive. CPR was performed by paramedics who were called to the scene.
The cause and manner of his death is pending further studies by the examiner’s office and a death investigation is being conducted by sheriff’s detectives, as is standard procedure.
January 22, 2013 at 6:27 PM
Two Snohomish residents have been missing since Jan. 8, and the Snohomish County Sheriff’s Office is asking the public’s help to find them.
Neither Jason J. Dolman, 31, nor Riza P. Ysulat, 36, have been at their jobs since Jan. 8.
Dolman and Ysulat, who are dating, left medications and other personal items in their homes. Both their cellphones have been turned off, the sheriff’s office says.
They were driving a red 1999 Mitsubishi Mirage, Washington license plate AJN4025, the sheriff’s office says in a news release.
Anybody who has seen Dolman or Ysulat or the car is asked to call the Snohomish County Sheriff’s Office tip line at 425-388-3845.
January 2, 2013 at 9:02 AM
The Associated Press
A Snohomish woman won $147,000 on “Wheel of Fortune.”
Cindy Kling told The Daily Herald she was the second-highest winner on the TV game show, after a $1 million winner four years ago.
The show was recorded in September in Los Angeles, and Kling had to keep her winning a secret until the show aired Friday.
Kling says her son was on the show about 15 years ago. She applied online for 12 years until she was finally accepted as a contestant.
Kling is a part-time Everett Community College teacher and contract instructor for Boeing.
December 5, 2012 at 6:22 PM
Snohomish County sheriff’s detectives are asking for public help to find out more about a woman killed in a hit-and-run Tuesday near Lake Stevens.
The woman was identified as Kathryn Hyde-Donohue, 53, of Lake Stevens by the Snohomish County Medical Examiner’s Office. The office said she died of blunt force injuries to the head.
Hyde-Donohue was walking in a red jacket and red baseball cap when she was struck on the 4400 block of South Machias Road. Deputies didn’t find her body until about 6 p.m. Tuesday, but detectives believe it may have been there since 5:15 a.m. that morning, according to a Snohomish County Sheriff’s Office release.
Detectives are searching for more information about her activities before her death and for anyone who may have seen her walking northbound on the east side of South Machias Road that morning.
Deputies were actually pointed to a vehicle that may have struck Hyde-Donohue before they found her body. While responding to a domestic-violence disturbance on the 12700 block of 18th Street Southeast in Lake Stevens, an interview of residents led them to the vehicle and to the possible location of the victim.
The car has since been taken as evidence for further processing, according to the Sheriff’s Office. Detectives haven’t arrested anyone yet but expect to recommend charges for a suspect after further investigation.
Anyone with information about the hit-and-run is asked to contact the Snohomish County Sheriff’s Office at 425-388-3845.
September 6, 2012 at 3:25 PM
A car involved in a fatal head-on crash this morning on Highway 2 near Snohomish was reported stolen, according to the State Patrol.
The State Patrol is trying to identify the driver of the stolen car. Trooper Keith Leary says no identification was found on the dead man.
Leary said the car, a 1 995 Honda Accord, had a screwdriver in the ignition. The vehicle had been reported stolen from the Paradise Lake area in Snohomish County.
The dead driver caused the crash by crossing the centerline and hitting a pickup, Leary said. The pickup driver, Robert Bentz, 45, of Snohomish, and his 16-year-old son Rody were injured.
March 7, 2012 at 2:58 PM
A 15-year-old girl pleaded guilty today to stabbing two fellow students at Snohomish High School last October and was sentenced to juvenile detention until she’s 21, according to Times news partner KING-TV. After that, she will face eight more years in adult prison, KING-TV reports.
The girl’s plea came during a hearing in Snohomish Juvenile Court in Everett to determine whether she should be charged as an adult. But the defense and prosecution reached a plea agreement.
The girl, who turns 16 in April, pleaded guilty to first-degree assault and second-degree assault. The Times is not naming the defendant because she was prosecuted as a juvenile.
Police said the girl armed herself with an 8-inch butcher knife and a second knife before going to school Oct. 24. She went into a girls’ restroom on campus and waited in a stall for others to leave before attacking a freshman girl. During the attack, a second freshman girl came to the victim’s defense and was also stabbed, Snohomish police said.
The victims, April Lutz and Bekah Staudacher, were hospitalized after the attack. Neither knew their attacker.
The families of the two victims released the following statements following today’s plea agreement:
Statement from Randy and Sue Lutz:
Today is a very difficult day for us. We have so many intense emotions about this situation and how deeply it has affected our daughter and our family. With that said, we feel that this agreement is a fair compromise. It allows this very troubled young girl to get the help she has clearly needed for some time while she is still a juvenile, but it also holds her accountable for her horrific actions.
Our focus now is solely on April and making sure she fully recovers physically and emotionally from everything that happened. We would also like to extend our thanks to the communities of Monroe and Snohomish for their continued support, which has been nothing short of remarkable. We are looking forward to putting all of this behind us for good and moving on with our lives.
Statement from Mark and Christa Staudacher:
This is a tough situation for any parent to go through, knowing how bad it was and how much worse it could have been. We are relieved to have some closure and to see the justice system act firmly and fairly under the circumstances. We are most thankful for our daughter’s well-being and that she and April are both still around to help one another return to their normal lives as much as possible. We would also like to thank the community for showing their steadfast support for our daughter and our family during this difficult time.
March 1, 2012 at 9:42 AM
The Associated Press
EVERETT – Prosecutors say the 15-year-old girl accused of stabbing two other students at Snohomish High School created a “bucket list” while locked up that includes harming a toddler and blowing up a school.
A fellow inmate in juvenile detention told the staff in mid-February the defendant talked of finding one of the wounded students and stabbing her again to make sure she dies.
The Daily Herald reports the information is in court documents filed Monday by prosecutors seeking to have the case moved from juvenile court to Snohomish County Superior Court, where she would face a longer sentence if convicted as an adult.
She’s charged with assault and attempted murder in the October attack at the school.
A court hearing will be held next week.
January 9, 2012 at 2:11 PM
UPDATE: The man shot and killed by a Snohomish homeowner yesterday during a burglary was 22 years 0ld, according to the Snohomish County Sheriff’s Office.
Also, investigators have impounded a vehicle believed to be associated with the alleged crime.
A homeowner shot and killed a person who was breaking into his house in Everett just before noon today, according to the Snohomish County Sheriff’s Office.
The names of the homeowner and the dead man were not released by sheriff’s investigators. A woman who answered the phone at the home in the 10500 block of 21st Avenue Southeast where the shooting occurred hung up when asked for information about what happened.
Sheriff’s Bureau Chief Kevin Prentiss said that the homeowner “surprised” the suspect inside the home. Homicide detectives are on scene investigating.
Neighbor Patricia Graham said that she was home when the shooting occurred but did not hear anything. She said that there have been several burglaries in the neighborhood in recent months.
December 14, 2011 at 8:21 PM
A King County Superior Court judge has rejected a lawsuit claiming the Port of Seattle exceeded its authority when it bought the Renton-to-Snohomish Eastside Rail Corridor from BNSF Railway in 2009.
Judge Beth Andrus on Friday rejected the claim by Arthur Lane, John Allerton and Kenneth Gorohoff that the $81 million purchase was illegal because the corridor can’t move intermodal cargo in and out of existing Port facilities.
Andrus concluded the law doesn’t require the rail line be linked to existing Port facilities, only that it carry cargo from within King County to an interstate rail line. The Port has granted a short-haul railroad the right to carry freight between Woodinville and BNSF’s interstate line at Snohomish.
November 11, 2011 at 9:57 PM
A small plane crashed at Harvey Field in Snohomish Friday afternoon, but there were no injuries, the Federal Aviation Administration said
The plane, a Cessna 180, crashed through a fence at the end of the runway and had substantial damage, the FAA said.
Two people were on board. No other information was available.
About The Today File
The Today File is a general news blog featuring real-time coverage of Seattle and the Northwest. It is reported by the news staff of The Seattle Times and edited by Assistant Metro Editor Nick Provenza.
Trending with readers