Follow us:

UW Election Eye 2012

Campaign 2012 through the eyes of UW faculty and students

May 31, 2012 at 1:15 PM

Wisconsin governor’s premature exit from college remains mystery to Marquette professors

It has been 25 years since Wisconsin Governor Scott Walker sought the student body presidency of a large private university. Just days before what could become only the third successful gubernatorial recall in U.S. history, UW Election Eye wondered whether polarizing perceptions of Walker were as prevalent back then as they are now.

MILWAUKEE — Polite. Dishonest. Respectful. Conniving.

Only three men have a chance to wake up next Wednesday as governor of Wisconsin. One is Milwaukee Mayor Tom Barrett. The others are the two personalities of Scott Kevin Walker.

Marquette Professor Emeritus Boles

Marquette Professor Emeritus Janet Boles archived every assignment score of every student she taught between 1980 and 2009. (Photo by Thor Tolo/ UW Election Eye)

Depending on whom you ask, the embattled Tea Party hero fighting for his political life was either an average, well-intentioned student at Marquette University — or a disillusioned, narcissistic buffoon devoid of any moral compass as he walked over friend and foe alike in repeated failed efforts to become student body president.

“Scott would always come to class in a three-piece suit and tell me he was working in a bank — ‘working in the private sector,’ he would say. It was like teaching a real-life Alex Keaton,” said Walker’s urban politics professor, Janet Boles, referring to Michael J. Fox’s eccentric character on the old TV sitcom Family Ties.

Tucked away in a corner of Boles’ upstairs closet, the professor proudly held up a stack of grade books with dozens of pages full of names and scores for every student she taught in her 29 years there — including Walker and the current Democratic Mayor of Phoenix, Greg Stanton. Boles beamed as she told me how Stanton scored 97 out of 100 in her urban public policy course.

On the other hand, Boles hid neither her soft spot for Walker, the student, nor her disdain for Walker, the governor. “He turned in all his assignments on time, he took all of his tests on time, and he never showed me any disrespect,” said Boles, who retired in 2009 from the private Catholic school in downtown Milwaukee. “I just hate what he’s doing to our state.”

Boles' hand highlights Governor's grades

It took Marquette University Professor Emeritus Janet Boles only a few minutes to find grades for Gov. Walker from more than 20 years ago. (Photo by Thor Tolo/UW Election Eye)

Boles’ grade books also confirmed a public pronouncement by Marquette that Walker’s grade point average was 2.56. For its part, the university has said only that he left in “good standing.”

There are countless skeptics who simply don’t believe Wisconsin’s incumbent governor left Marquette under anything but a dark cloud. Dr. Glen Barry attended Marquette with Walker in the late 1980s. Barry graduated. Walker did not.

“[Walker] was a laughable dork — dumb, full of himself, and authoritarian,” said Barry, who implied Walker was expelled for unethical behavior despite having no proof.

Barry saved his harshest vitriol for what UW Election Eye has confirmed was a series of campaign violations ranging from premature distribution of literature, to the systematic disposal of school newspapers endorsing his opponents, to the removal of opponents’ campaign signs that multiple sources told me this week was common knowledge on campus.

“Thus began [Walker’s] 25-year record of bullying to get what he wants … at the expense of others — all for personal self-aggrandizement and without an ounce of either personal or political virtue,” Barry said.

Athan leaving Starbucks

Retired professor Athan Theoharis said Wisconsin Gov. Scott Walker’s campaign violations were “common knowledge” during a final failed run for student body president at Marquette University. (Photo by Thor Tolo/UW Election Eye)

“What’s remarkable is that none of the big newspapers and TV stations reported on any of his youthful indiscretions [as a student] when Walker first ran for governor,” said Athan Theoharis, another retired Marquette professor who taught history from 1969 to 2006. “Here you have the son of a Baptist pastor attending a Catholic university, and he doesn’t finish? It clearly raises questions about his integrity.”

The governor’s one-time political science professor John McAdams, a gregarious conservative quietly rooting for Walker to win, finds no such integrity gap in one of his favorite students.

“Scott came to class with a curiosity liberal professors dismiss when the curiosity comes from a conservative,” said McAdams. “Oh gosh, he would wear those three-piece suits and always treated me with the polite respect I didn’t always show my professors when I was an undergrad.”

McAdams refused to share even the hint of a detail about Gov. Walker’s academic performance in his classroom, but did offer subjective analysis of Walker’s election chances ahead of tonight’s big debate with Barrett next door inside Marquette Law School.

Marquette Political Science Professor McAdams

Marquette Professor John McAdams taught Gov. Scott Walker Political Science Research Methods in a class 24 years ago. (Photo by Thor Tolo/UW Election Eye)

“Look, I know our own Marquette Law poll has [Walker] up by seven points, but here’s what you want to watch for tonight,” said McAdams. “If Walker comes out aggressive, throws a few punches, that will suggest the governor’s internal polling shows this race is a lot tighter than the public realizes. Watch how he responds.”

Walker’s first professor watched Walker respond to the challenges of being governor by making what she called mistake after mistake. Boles shook her head.

“But as much as I dislike his politics, I hate to see all the falsehoods written about him,” said Boles. “There was no suspension. Just sandbox politics. Give the devil his due.”

Comments | More in National | Topics: Athan Theoharis, campaign violations, Greg Stanton

COMMENTS

No personal attacks or insults, no hate speech, no profanity. Please keep the conversation civil and help us moderate this thread by reporting any abuse. See our Commenting FAQ.

The opinions expressed in reader comments are those of the author only, and do not reflect the opinions of The Seattle Times.

Advertising
The Seattle Times

The door is closed, but it's not locked.

Take a minute to subscribe and continue to enjoy The Seattle Times for as little as 99 cents a week.

Subscription options ►

Already a subscriber?

We've got good news for you. Unlimited seattletimes.com content access is included with most subscriptions.

Subscriber login ►
The Seattle Times

To keep reading, you need a subscription upgrade.

We hope you have enjoyed your complimentary access. For unlimited seattletimes.com access, please upgrade your digital subscription.

Call customer service at 1.800.542.0820 for assistance with your upgrade or questions about your subscriber status.

The Seattle Times

To keep reading, you need a subscription.

We hope you have enjoyed your complimentary access. Subscribe now for unlimited access!

Subscription options ►

Already a subscriber?

Activate Subscriber Account ►